Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times

Advertisements

Went to walmart yesterday.Ive been wanting to get a new TV for a long time now but held off on it. The best deal was a 42 inch, LCD, 1080p flatscreen for $448

Anyone else have experience with this brand? What do you think about it? Was it a good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Wow, I cant believe nobody has anything to say about Sanyo.

Doesn't really matter now. I was checking the reviews out online and they got progressively worse as I went along. I said the heck with it and took it back. Got a 37 inch VIZIO now, which is still 2nd tier but seems like a better brand. I own another 19 inch vizio for two years and no problems, and also know a few people who have 37 inch vizios and they have had no problems either. I think I did the best thing.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:25 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,665 times
Sorry I'm late.

Generally with LCD/LED TVs here's how I rank them.

Best (in no order):
Samsung
Sony
LG

Middle: (Generally with this tier, every set is very hit and miss. You really need to do research when looking at these, but they can offer good value if you find the right one.)
Toshiba
Sharp
Vizio

Worst:
Anything not one of the above.

So in essence, Sanyo is crap.

I personally only buy Samsung as they generally make the best TV's on the market at decent prices. Sony probably makes the best overall, but they are high...

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Sanyo was reliable with their tubes, but have fallen into a low quality brand.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,936 times
When I sold HT gear waaaaay back in the mid 90s, in my experience Sanyos were by far the most reliable. Sold tons of them and basically never saw them come back. Sonys and RCAs on the other hand - sheesh. Our family owns two of their 25" CRT sets bought back then and they still work, despite one being dropped and both being used since the day they were purchased.

As far as their HDTVs, when I was doing my own research on them earlier this year for a relative, I could never find any proper reviews of them: one sentence reviews on a retailer's site full of mispelled words didn't count, and never found any professional reviews. As far as the sets themselves their physical construction seems to be fine and going by the comparisons to earby sets, picture quality seems to be good too.....but such a comparison isn't really valid since 1) I didn't know the source of the signal and 2) since the remotes are never with the TVs I could not pull up the picture setting menus to see how they've been configured.

Sanyo is a huge electronics corporation, has been around a long time, and makes its own semiconductors and sells many of them to other, more highly marketed brands, so I have no worries about their manufacturing/design prowess. And I just recently found out Panasonic bought the whole dang company! I don't know how that will affect Sanyo's HDTV business.

I would make sure to look at Sanyos if I was in the market for an LCD flatscreen set, but since I'm an image snob I am only considering 1080 plasma sets and since Sanyo only sells 720 plasmas, my next HDTV will be a Panasonic. But reliability is also a big deal for me (not to mention my career does not allow me the freedom to replace my TVs whenever I feel likeit), and so far I have not seen anything particularly worrisome about Panasonic's TVs.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,665 times
Panasonic makes better plasmas then LCDs and Sanyo, as already stated, was only decent at making CRTs. Their LCDs have routinely been subpar.

Really if you are in the market for something great and reliable, the top tier is what I listed from my experience.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 PM

So far each one has its positives and negatives. The VIZIO has great picture quality { once you can figure out how to adjust the dang thing to your liking. }

Based on the reviews I read and my experience with VIZIO, I would say I madse the smart choice. Plus, this set came with a years warranty. I wish it were the 42 inches that sanyo was, but I'm happy at 37 I think. Not Really that much of a difference.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
We are very happy with our Samsung. At Best Buy, you could fairly easily make comparisons. At first, when we got our TV, it didn't look right, but our bundled service people fixed it so we had HD.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Panasonic makes both the best LCDs and Plasma sets. (Consumer Reports).
I love our Viera!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
I'm a graphic designer/art director - I can get very picky about color and image quality.
I am totally digging the Vizio 46 inch 3D (3D Processors allow for a faster refresh in 2D). We could have afforded a Sony, but we thought the Vizio had a better picture)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics