U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Pardon me for being more of a Luddite than I apparently knew, but what is the alternative to iTunes? I've only ever bought those iTunes cards for nieces, friends kids, etc. Didn't realize there were other options.
You need to use iTunes to load music onto the iPod. But you can buy music from Amazon and other places. Amazon sells music in MP3 format, the format easiest to play almost anywhere. When you buy music from iTunes, it is in Apple's AAC format. Very friendly for Apple devices, not so much with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I consider myself a pretty advanced user.

I think I have only purchased about 20 songs on itunes (plus a lot of free tunes-some are quite good - btw Amazon also offers good free music, found a lot of cool new bands, Amazon also integrates very well with iTunes)

Ripped most of my CD collection seamlessly on iTunes. My collection is also about 15,000 songs

No problem in managing my music or my movies.
You ripped your music with iTunes and probably have it in an iTunes music library. I ripped my music years ago with a variety of other products. I do NOT want my music files in the iTunes library. I use the "add folder to iTunes" instead. If I add a subfolder (such as a new artist) to "my music" folder iTunes is too stupid to know something has been added. I have to manually add the folders each time. Windows Media Player on the other hand makes it easy to specify one or more music folders to be included - it monitors them automatically for changes and adds them to the WMP library.

When I installed iTunes for my Nano - it automatically added a music folder. Unfortunately it somehow picked one without asking me, and it was wrong one. Do you know there is no "delete folder" command? You have to select the songs and delete them. iTunes also created playlists for each artist without asking me if I wanted that.

Crazy.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,183,751 times
maybe you are just overthinking things. I never have a problem. Plenty of ways to delete / create folders.

At least on a mac....

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
maybe you are just overthinking things. I never have a problem. Plenty of ways to delete / create folders.

At least on a mac....
Please tell me in iTunes where you can delete a music folder that has been "added" to iTunes. Even on a Mac.

No I am not overthinking things.

It is simple for me.

1. I don't want my music in iTunes libraries because I already have them in other places.
2. I have years and years of music contained in folders under "My Music"
3. I could choose to import all this music into iTunes, which would duplicate many many gigabytes of music files.
4. iTunes instead provides an option to "add folders" which essentially extends or links iTunes to music files somewhere else.
5. Once a folder is added to iTunes, you cannot delete it. The "workaround" is to rename the folder, which breaks all the links in the iTunes library. Then you can delete the songs from the library. Takes a long time.
6. If I re-add the correct folder, it would be nice if iTunes would detect that I added some music to it. But it won't.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You need to use iTunes to load music onto the iPod.
At least with my 3rd gen Nano, after seeing the horror show that iTunes caused on my Windows 7 computer, I used a method that has worked with all the other MP3 players I own: I opened up a window for my music folder, another window for my player (found in My Computer) alongside it and simply dragged and dropped tracks and entire albums into the player icon. The only feature that didn't work was the loading of cover art.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
Quote:
Is there a specific MP3 player you would recommend? Although, honestly, my intent was to purchase a docking station with speakers. We don't actually have a stereo system at home although DH loves music.

I sincerely appreciate everyone weighing in and enlightening me.
If you can, it's best to handle and use a player in the store to make sure you like it and to make sure it works well for you. But here's my own impressions of a few other players.......

The last player I bought and have used constantly since then (about five months ago) is an aluminum-cased Philips GoGear "Vibe", 8GB version. $65 at Wally World. It was just replaced with another model with a more organic shape but still uses the same basic set of controls.

Was very close to buying this Sony (though it looks like it has been updated slightly) but some of its major controls were a little too difficult to use without looking at the display since they had no tactile feedback i.e. no "click" when you pushed them. But liked its size - personally I don't like players so small you have to concentrate to use them i.e. using the tip of a finger to push tiny buttons or squint at micro-sized lettering.

Sansa makes players I like too - and still own actually - and considered this one which debuted about six months ago, but am not a big fan of touch-based user interfaces. Otherwise it felt well made and was pretty easy to use.

Creative's "Zen" series usually gets good reviews for years now, but I've never seen one in person.

And these are not easy to find, but if anyone else is fussy about sound quality , for portable sound this company's products are well respected in the audiophile community: Cowon by JetAudio. They're not exactly cheap (which unfortunately is why I don't own one), but good sound never is.

BTW most docks I've seen include a 1/8" minijack so you can connect any MP3 player to them via its headphone jack, but you cannot charge the player this way or access its menu system. I will admit that an iPod's big advantage over, well, just about everybody, is that as far as full-featured connection purposes are concerned, audio manufacturers have pretty much unofficially decided that the iPod is the industry standard for docks, home stereos and car stereos.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Sincerely appreciate the clarification. I didn't write a very eloquent post. It was a tad bit confusing to me too when I went to reread it!

I believe the Nano is still the one that interests me most. However, the newer ones isn't appealing. It's entirely too small for my husband. I remain confused about why the newer model costs less than the older version.
I can't answer your question. But how about getting this thread back on track. Instead of arguing about iTunes, you should take the time to help the OP. Then get back to arguing.

Better yet start your own thread instead of hijacking this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics