U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 AM

759 posts, read 3,415,652 times

Advertisements

I am ready to transition into this century, but like a previous poster, my head is spinning on where to start! We'll be purchasing a 42-55 inch TV... it will be going into an entertainment unit (vs hanging on a wall.) I believe in buying quality, and I would like for this TV to last a while. Is 10+ years asking too much these days? We're not big "techies" so we don't need anything too fancy. Just a good picture and a good quality. This is not going in a media room, just our family room. We watch about 1 movie a month. Where should I start? What type of TV would be a good buy for someone like myself? Any good deals at places like Costco? Any specific brands and/or models to suggest?

T H A N K Y O U !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
Stay away from any TV that has DLP technology because in 10 years, you might end up spending more than what you paid for the TV for replacement lamps, and they're not cheap!

I bought my Panasonic 52" DLP (Digital Light Processor) around this time in 2003, and right now it's on its 3 replacement digital lamp. Panasonic says they're supposed to last 5,000 hours, but that sounds like an exaggeration. I don't think they'll last for more than 2,500 hours. The lamps for mine cost around $500, and I hear the ones for newer DLP TVs cost around $800.

If you want to spend over $3,000 on an HD TV, get LCD or Plasma technology. LCD would probably be my choice, because I hear plasma replacement lamps are even more expensive than DLP's.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,311,975 times
Probably best for your situation to check out Consumer Reports ratings of the TV's and the manufacturers repair history.

Narrow your choice down to a couple of units and then go view them side-by-side on the type of material you'd usually watch to see which one you prefer.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,614,989 times
I bought a Plazma for this reason: LCD tvs burn out pixles over time and personally I would rather a tv broke than have an expencive TV that got lower and lower in quality over the life of the set. If you want your plazma tv to last, don't leave it on pause too long because the image will burn into the screen, thats about it, good plazma TVs offer a setting of cold, med and hot. If you have a kid that will play video games on it set it to cold and it can remain paused for awhile without any damage. The colors are more realistic on Plazmas, are bright enough from any angle without giving you a headache like LCD's
Stay away from Sears brands
If your not planning on paying for HD reception why pay more for the TV if you'll never use the Tech. Low end HD and ED perform about the same with a regular signal.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,200 times
I've had two HDTV's in my time - a Sharp 20" and a Sharp 32".

I bought the 20" in May of 2005 to watch the World Cup in Hi-Def. I definetly used it for probably 6 hours a day during the World Cup, so I made good use out of it. I went back to school in September, came back in early May and it was broken. Sharp said it was irreplacable so they were going to give me a new one. They never did, and I paid a bit more for the 32".

I've had the 32" for around a month now, and I'm already having problems with it. Sharp is sending me yet another television to replace this set, hopefully the last time I'll have to replace it.

I've heard good things about Sony and Samsung, though. Sharp has been decent about the repairs so I'd still reccomend them to a certain extent, but pay heed to what has been said previously also.

Good Luck!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM

791 posts, read 2,031,704 times
I got a 27" LCD Syntax Olevia a couple of years ago at OutPost/Frye's. It was a 'come on' special but the best bargain in the building @ $965, HD equipped. Prices have dropped a bunch since then. Wish I'd gotten the 32". The normal digital pictures is good enough for me, never hooked up the HD. It stays on about 18 hours a day, mostly financials, news or sports.

Here's a HDTV link from Popular Mechanics...

Top 10 HDTV Myths: Fact vs. Fiction, Hi-Def Style

Last edited by Willys; 09-01-2007 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 AM

15,433 posts, read 27,898,154 times
Take a look at the Samsung 46 or 52 inch LCD's this year. They are, arguably, the best out right this minute. Do NOT buy a Samsung Plasma!

If you want to get a rear projection get a DLP. Also, Samsung just came out with a rear projection LED-DLP that is worth checking out. This unit will last a long time.

My son, the one in college, has been working part time selling TV's for over 2 years. It is amazing the stories he tells on how sales people are told to sell certain tv's based on manufacturer incentives, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics