U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,212,368 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am wondering if y'all could help me put together a list of quality digital cameras for less than $200. I figured I'd buy myself an early Christmas gift. Any good ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,011,220 times
I like Kodak’s, personally, as I shoot many pictures and I was never disappointed. Any Kodak 3X Optical 4X Digital zoom with at 5+ MP should be fine.

Now if you are a really professional photographer, then that is a different story and a different budget too.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,212,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
I like Kodak’s, personally, as I shoot many pictures and I was never disappointed. Any Kodak 3X Optical 4X Digital zoom with at 5+ MP should be fine.

Now if you are a really professional photographer, then that is a different story and a different budget too.
I'm most definitely an amateur I don't really need a camera, but it would be nice to have a camera handy to show my faraway friends and family what's going on in my neck of the woods. I will definitely keep Kodak in mind. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,011,220 times
One tip I forgot to mention:
Many Cameras have Viewfinder and the LCD Screen. Some newer ones do not the the viewfinder. I still would suggest to get one with a view finder and the LCD as sometimes the LCD screen is very hard to see on a sunny day.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
Hey guys, I am wondering if y'all could help me put together a list of quality digital cameras for less than $200. I figured I'd buy myself an early Christmas gift. Any good ideas?
I'm not sure I'd call it a "quality" camera (it's more like a decent toy camera), but I've actually been quite happy with the little Aiptek IS-DV2 that I picked up on sale at Target for $70.

It works very well as a quick-n-dirty combination movie/still camera (640x480 @ roughly 30fps for movies with sound, and 3.2 Megapixels (2048x1536) as a still camera), and it's inexpensive enough that I realy don't care too much if it breaks so I'll carry it just about anywhere I don't need a more serious camera.

Here's a little review of the camera.

Here's a video review on YouTube

It doesn't work well (or at all ) in low light, though, and it really doesn't have very many customizable settings. In some ways it's the total opposite of my main camera (a Casio QV3000EX) which that has manual overrides and settings for just about everything you can think of including shutter speed adjustments down to "bulb".

Just an idea if you want something really cheap. :-)

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,217,674 times
I'm looking for one, also. I didn't realize how OLD my digital camera was but it's time for a new one. I purchased it in '01. It's only 2.2 mp LOL. I guess that's all they had back then? I don't know but I found a couple at target that look pretty good...(all less than 200 bucks)

Target : Electronics : Digital Cameras + Camcorders : 6-8 Megapixels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics