U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,352,212 times

Advertisements

Hell, who needs that feature? Just type "check cashing stores" into your GPS and you'll automatically know what to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
If they don't want to disclose exactly how it works, then I have no problem with that. However when someone does ask how it works, which is a perfectly valid question, don't pretend it has been answered when it clearly has not.
I'm truly impressed that you had the patience to read in their entirety the 473 patent documents, the 12 foreign patent documents plus the 104 other references used in Microsoft's patent.

So if you say you can't find anything in those 200,000 or so pages of technical verbiage I have to agree with you...

BTW, how long did it take you to read through all those documents? I posted the link to the actual patent @ 12:39 AM and you responded @ 16:27 PM.

200,000 pages in less than 15 hours, YOU ARE THE MAN

Last edited by plwhit; 01-08-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM

2,477 posts, read 4,541,013 times
I read the overview of their application that you linked to, as well as all of the text you quoted. None of it mentions how the process is done. Look its not a big deal if they don't want disclose how it works, but asking how it works is a perfectly valid question.

If your answer is just "beats me go look through 200,000 pages of text" then that's fine, but say that to begin with. Don't bother replying by quoting pointless text that doesn't even begin to answer the question.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I read the overview of their application that you linked to, as well as all of the text you quoted. None of it mentions how the process is done. Look its not a big deal if they don't want disclose how it works, but asking how it works is a perfectly valid question.

If your answer is just "beats me go look through 200,000 pages of text" then that's fine, but say that to begin with. Don't bother replying by quoting pointless text that doesn't even begin to answer the question.
Hey, I gave you as much information as the article gave me and I even qualified it in post #6.

Why you are climbing down my back is beyond me.

Complain to USPTO if you don't like the information presented:

United States Patent and Trademark Office

BTW, did you go through the 200,000 pages of technical documentation to make sure it's not in there? If I were in your shoes if I wasn't satisfied with whatever information was given to me I'd do my own research rather than whine about how someone else didn't give you what you wanted....

I'd hate for you to complain to the USPTO and have you winding up with egg on your face...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 PM

53,345 posts, read 42,818,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Microsoft has been granted a patent for its “avoid ghetto” feature for GPS devices. A GPS device is used to find shortcuts and avoid traffic, but Microsoft’s patent states that a route can be plotted for pedestrians to avoid an “unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures.”

Microsoft Patents ‘Avoid Ghetto’ Feature For GPS Devices « CBS Seattle
Garmin sent my gf and her 5 kids through a *brutal* southside Chicago neighborhood last year or so. Not a bad app IMO....especially for people on foot.

Suffice to say that it could be particularily useful in parts of cities like Chicago where 2 blocks is a WORLD of difference.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Suffice to say that it could be particularily useful in parts of cities like Chicago where 2 blocks is a WORLD of difference.
I'm not from the city and was in Washington DC and was absolutely amazed at this. The term ghetto probably wasn't applicable for the one street we were on but certainly inner city would. Someone did try an open the back gate on the van we were in presumably to steal stuff from it.... Locked! What was amazing was you could drive over two or three blocks on a parallel street and there was some very nice homes. They weren't exactly mansions but certainly large and well taken care of.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,642,761 times
Perhaps next they can patent the "Avoid your GPS telling you to turn left when you're in the middle of a bridge over the ocean" option.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,747,399 times
Quote:
How exactly is it supposed to route a pedestrian around an "open area that is subject to harsh temperatures."? Like it may be freezing right here, but if I walk two blocks over its 75 and sunny?
I certainly did not read the patent documentation or the article. But, I would assume that it's more to provide the best comfort, shelter, etc. I'd agree that you aren't going to get a huge difference when traveling on foot, but especially in more extreme climates, temperature can vary greatly in a couple of blocks, depending on the man made or natural features. In addition to temperature, wind chill, sun exposure, and probably other things could be approximated.

In a city like Madison, WI, where the city lies between lakes, it makes sense that walking near the lake on a hot day would be a little cooler, and walking near the frozen lake in the middle of January would do nothing but increase the discomfort, particularly if the wind was blowing a certain direction. That's just an example. In Phoenix, there are different factors.

The same could be said for other features; trees, tall buildings, city parks, etc. Although the difference in temperature may not be earth shattering, data about local features (buildings, parks, lakes, streets, parking lots, open spaces), weather, heat island effects, shade, sun angle, wind speed and direction, cloud cover, time of year, time of day, etc., can be combined into an algorithm that could reasonably predict the difference in comfort level between nearby routes, in real time.

Most people consider some of these factors already, so it's probably not that useful in your own backyard, but in an unfamiliar city, it could be a nice tool.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM

2,477 posts, read 4,541,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Perhaps next they can patent the "Avoid your GPS telling you to turn left when you're in the middle of a bridge over the ocean" option.
Along the same lines, one of my coworkers got hit by a person once who simply drove straight into them. The persons explanation was the their GPS unit told them to turn there, so they did.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM

People who rely solely on GPS are idiots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics