Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Microsoft has been granted a patent for its “avoid ghetto” feature for GPS devices. A GPS device is used to find shortcuts and avoid traffic, but Microsoft’s patent states that a route can be plotted for pedestrians to avoid an “unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures.”

Microsoft Patents ‘Avoid Ghetto’ Feature For GPS Devices « CBS Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Microsoft’s patent states that a route can be plotted for pedestrians to avoid an “unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures.”
How exactly is it supposed to route a pedestrian around an "open area that is subject to harsh temperatures."? Like it may be freezing right here, but if I walk two blocks over its 75 and sunny?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
How exactly is it supposed to route a pedestrian around an "open area that is subject to harsh temperatures."? Like it may be freezing right here, but if I walk two blocks over its 75 and sunny?
Here ya go, it's all in Microsoft's patent application:

United States Patent: 8090532

A hint, next time read the article and the source it was based on, investigation like that yields interesting things concerning modern technology...

Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Here ya go, it's all in Microsoft's patent application:

United States Patent: 8090532

A hint, next time read the article and the source it was based on, investigation like that yields interesting things concerning modern technology...
I did read the article (all five paragraphs of it), however CBS sees fit to load every single comment onto the page, rather than a list of around 20 with a "next" button, which means my browser here at work crashes.

I'm on my way out, so I don't have time to read it in depth, but a quick ctrl+f of "temperature" on their patent application shows a couple instances them saying that it could be used to route around harsh weather, but just glancing I don't see any mention of how that can be done, especially for a pedestrian, which would obviously be traveling at a very slow speed.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I'm on my way out, so I don't have time to read it in depth, but a quick ctrl+f of "temperature" on their patent application shows a couple instances them saying that it could be used to route around harsh weather, but just glancing I don't see any mention of how that can be done, especially for a pedestrian, which would obviously be traveling at a very slow speed.
Perhaps they provide routes through public but enclosed spaces? For example you might have a large store in the middle of urban area and instead of giving them directions for the outside sidewalk they route them through the store.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I did read the article (all five paragraphs of it), however CBS sees fit to load every single comment onto the page, rather than a list of around 20 with a "next" button, which means my browser here at work crashes.

This is the web page you went to? It has to be at last 1,500 lines and well over 100 paragraphs....

MOD CUT

United States Patent 8,090,532 Tashev , et al. January 3, 2012 Pedestrian route production

Abstract As a pedestrian travels, various difficulties can be encountered, such as traveling through an unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures. A route can be developed for a person taking into account factors that specifically affect a pedestrian. Moreover, the route can alter as a situation of a user changes; for instance, if a user wants to add a stop along a route.

Inventors: Tashev; Ivan J. (Kirkland, WA), Couckuyt; Jeffrey D. (Bothell, WA), Black; Neil W. (Seattle, WA), Krumm; John C. (Redmond, WA), Panabaker; Ruston (Redmond, WA), Seltzer; Michael Lewis (Seattle, WA) Assignee: Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, WA)

Appl. No.: 11/957,210 Filed: December 14, 2007

Here is the link again: United States Patent: 8090532

Last edited by linicx; 01-11-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i think avoiding dangerous areas is a great idea. but of course wolves think that us sheep building electronic bypass around their hunting grounds is gross discrimination.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
This is the web page you went to? It has to be at last 1,500 lines and well over 100 paragraphs....

United States Patent 8,090,532 Tashev , et al. January 3, 2012 Pedestrian route production

Abstract As a pedestrian travels, various difficulties can be encountered, such as traveling through an unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures. A route can be developed for a person taking into account factors that specifically affect a pedestrian. Moreover, the route can alter as a situation of a user changes; for instance, if a user wants to add a stop along a route.

Inventors: Tashev; Ivan J. (Kirkland, WA), Couckuyt; Jeffrey D. (Bothell, WA), Black; Neil W. (Seattle, WA), Krumm; John C. (Redmond, WA), Panabaker; Ruston (Redmond, WA), Seltzer; Michael Lewis (Seattle, WA) Assignee: Microsoft Corporation (Redmond, WA)

Appl. No.: 11/957,210 Filed: December 14, 2007

Here is the link again: United States Patent: 8090532

Once again, nothing you have quoted says how it will route a pedestrian around adverse weather, merely that it can/will. The closest it comes is "A route can be developed for a person taking into account factors that specifically affect a pedestrian." which is vague and doesn't answer the question at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Once again, nothing you have quoted says how it will route a pedestrian around adverse weather, merely that it can/will. The closest it comes is "A route can be developed for a person taking into account factors that specifically affect a pedestrian." which is vague and doesn't answer the question at all.
Isn't this the way all Technology companies work?

Besides Microsoft, Apple comes to mind in patenting an idea with nothing solid behind it at first...

Why do I have to "prove" anything?

The OP was an FYI, you want to pick an argument?

Go somewhere else 'cause I'm not going to dance with you...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Isn't this the way all Technology companies work?

Besides Microsoft, Apple comes to mind in patenting an idea with nothing solid behind it at first...

Why do I have to "prove" anything?

The OP was an FYI, you want to pick an argument?

Go somewhere else 'cause I'm not going to dance with you...
If they don't want to disclose exactly how it works, then I have no problem with that. However when someone does ask how it works, which is a perfectly valid question, don't pretend it has been answered when it clearly has not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics