U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM

400 posts, read 1,507,894 times

Advertisements

I currently have comcast for phone, internet and cable (with one premium channel) for ~$220/month. I notice they are advertising a "triple play" deal for $99/month for I think 6 months? I think they should be willing to give a customer of many years this same deal?

Otherwise, what would you recommend as a cheaper way to get these services? I work completely from home and have to have reliable and fast internet, with comcast has given me and I would likely not change that.

I don't have any other "vices" than cable TV so I'd to find a way to keep it but not pay so much. I've thought of hulu and such but I'd have to watch it in my office in my computer chair rather than relaxing in front of the TV...

I don't get great reception with my cell phone at home so I worry about not having the back of the home phone (with unlimited long distance).

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind why I've been willing to pay $220/month all this time, but would like good suggestions for alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
steal cable from your neighbor,
make your work pay for your cell phone, you dont need lan line
steal wifi from your neighbor its actually pretty easy

well you asked...

but seriously i would love to know too. EVery company that offers bundle deals are still expensive as hell. I have a bundle with cox but still feel like im being ripped off

Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM

119 posts, read 201,386 times
Well you could always drop the phone and the cable. Plug your computer into your TV (they make looong cables) and use netflix/hulu and use vonage or a similar service for your phone service.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
If you'd be content using online sources for your TV fix, look at getting a Roku box. It'll connect to Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, etc., and hooks up to your TV.

Drop your cable company's telephone service and go with Callcentric. $6/month for unlimited inbound calls, and their outbound rates are decent. If you do a LOT of outbound calling (like over 700 minutes/mo, iirc), you can get the all-you-can-eat package for pricing that's on par with Vonage.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,183,751 times
220 / month is way too much money. Ditch the land line (i've been doing without one for the last three years)

If you are close enough to a broadcast Center with a local Hi Def Signal, ditch cable and find a decent ISP. Sign up for NetFlix or Hulu+. Hulu+ seems to have better variety. (Most newer game consoles, and TVs have the capacity to view those services and then some)

Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times
There must be actually a lot of price-fixing going on. There is very little variation in the prices of similar packages of services. Cable companies still enjoy a virtual monopoly in most markets, and the dish people just barely undercut them.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

28,575 posts, read 19,848,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you'd be content using online sources for your TV fix, look at getting a Roku box. It'll connect to Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, etc., and hooks up to your TV.

Drop your cable company's telephone service and go with Callcentric. $6/month for unlimited inbound calls, and their outbound rates are decent. If you do a LOT of outbound calling (like over 700 minutes/mo, iirc), you can get the all-you-can-eat package for pricing that's on par with Vonage.
roku is a good bet, but one of these would be even better, as it streams any/everything:

WD TV Live Plus

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,710 times
I would certainly call them and tell them you are not happy with what you are paying and ask to be put on the $99/mo special. They will probably do it for you. You might have to be a bit persistant. If the first person who answers the phone can't/won't help you, hang up, call back and talk to another person. Be nice, but firm.

I have successfully negotiated with Qwest/Century Link every 6 months to get my DSL for $15-20/mo. (Instead of $50/mo)

Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,792 times
I have Comcast and use it for unlimited local and long distance home phone, Internet Pro, and the basic digital package with HD upgrade and Showtime only. I paid the $99 for first 6 mos. The regular rate now is $155.00 for all the above. I don't use my cell phone all that much because I'm home most of the time so I just have TMobile PAY AS YOU GO plan/phone. I'm looking to update my phone right now and will probably continue with pay as you go. I only use $25.00 worth of calls, text, photos in 2 mos. or more on my cell. I won't switch my TV to Hulu because there are still plenty of programs I won't get on Hulu, ditto for Netflix streaming. It's waaaaay behind Netflix DVD's in the mail, which I also have that costs $9-10/mo. If you have favorite shows on Showtime, or the like see if you can get them on Hulu first, probably not but you can get plenty with Xfinity on Demand. Watched the whole past season of Magic City from Starz that I DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO with On Demand and added the current season of Magic City DVD's to my Netflix queue as soon as it's available. I'm behind one season all the time but there are so many of my favorites in overlapping time slots, I really don't care. I'd be catching up later anyway. And it's much more enjoyable viewing an entire season back to back then waiting a week between episodes.

So I'm covered with unlimited home phone, Internet Pro with Norton for free, and superfast download times, plenty to choose from TV wise with Xfinity, On Demand, and Showtime, plus about 2 movies per week or DVD's of shows on paid subscription channels I don't get, and a decent cell phone/coverage for my needs for less than $180/mo.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,746,388 times
I haven't use a house phone in 15 yrs. Damn, has it been that long? The only way I can save money is by hopping from company to the next using their promotional rates. Once promotional rates are over and they refuse to keep my expenses down, I move on again. Just keep going back and forth between these companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics