U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,962,310 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new Fujifilm Finepix JX 300 series digital camera after using a Fuji point & shoot camera that took 35 mm film for 12 years (it went bad and I ditched it). So this is my first digital camera

since i'm kind of slow and impatient (despite my daily use of my home and office computers for over a decade) when it comes to plugging a camera into my computer, i want to keep going the route of having the commercial photo booth develop prints from the memory card(with the old camera they developed it from the roll of film)

the instructions don't tell you how to remove the memory card they only tell you how to put it in the camera

is this something the photo booth people can do for me(remove the memory card from the camera)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
I don't have your model but with my digital camera all I do is push down on the memory card and it pops up out of the slot.

Try it...

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM

that's exactly what they told me at Fuji when i called them

this is all new to me, the girl at Best Buy explained to me that you give the memory card to the photo developing place so they can develop the prints...i had no idea how it worked

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
That's how mine worked as well.

On a side note, you'll still want to move all of the pictures off of the camera / card every now and then for two reasons. First is that you'll eventually run out of space, and second is that memory cards die.

Remember that those digital pictures are the equivalent to your negatives.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,775,374 times
I'm not sure if this post is some sort of strange joke, but I'll take the initial question as being earnest.

You should download your pictures to your computer. Taking a digital camera to a photo lab is a bit liking rigging up a team of horses to pull your car around--it will definitely get you the result you want, but it's an old-fashioned way of using a new and much better technology. It's really as simple as plugging in a USB cable to your computer and your camera, opening the camera on your computer, and downloading the files. Alternately you can remove the memory card, typically by pushing down on it slightly to get it to pop back up.

You'll be able to see your photos right away, share them with your friends and family, and have the good ones printed in a variety of sizes, either at a local store or over the internet.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._manual_01.pdf

18 is the memory card slot, just press on it lightly and it will pop back out.
19 is the battery
20 is the battery latch
just above 20 is the usb port.
Attached Thumbnails
Question re memory card on new camera-fuji_camera_access.bmp  

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM

got a tiny family and not many friends...

no rush to share...

i like the old fashioned way

but i'm sure i will eventually learn the method you showed

no joke, i love sticking to the tried and true...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

no joke, i love sticking to the tried and true...
No reason sticking to bad habits. For example you have a camera that can store X amount of pictures. It really costs you nothing to take one and more importantly it doesn't cost you anything to take a bad picture, it only begins to cost money when you store the file on your hard drive.

As mentioned above keep what you want on your computers hard drive, review them, delete the pictures of your feet and choose the better pictures for printing.

FYI a lot of these stores offer online services, you can upload from your computer to their site and then when you get to the store they will be all ready.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
If that's how he wants to do it, then who are we to say different?

My sister does this. She takes the card to Walgreens or some other place and has them "develop" (really it is just printing) the entire card. She likes it. She can afford it. And she likes having the actual pictures from her trips. Not having a bunch of pictures on her computer.
Yes most of us just put pics on our computers, but many people miss the "old days" of getting that envelope full of pictures from the developer.

Also to the OP: many drug stores (here in Ohio it is CVS or Walgreens) have the little self service kiosk. Just take your card to the kiosk, insert the card and you can browse the card and print only the pics you really want. This is probably the way to go for you.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM

40,197 posts, read 41,799,403 times
If you want to print them go for it, my only point is there is really no reason to print pictures of your feet and again it should be emphasized the print is no replacement for the file. My mother likes the prints too but after I showed her how to get them on the computer and pick and choose what she wanted to print she realized she could now take hundreds of photos. She's using modern tech to enhance her enjoyment of taking pictures and getting some of them printed.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM

the photo service at Target is gone. I'm sure i'll grow to do this on the computer to. But my first roll is gonna be done at Walgreens or the like. this is a totally new thing for me because my dad bought me a Fujifilm Smart Shot point & shoot camera 12 years ago(he was a camera buff). SInce then both my folks have passed on, and the camera he got me just died, leaving me with 2 rolls of 35 mm film for a camera that is basically no longer made. I no longer have dad to show me this but still it's easy enough to use, just that i miss the old method of developing...

see where I'm coming from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics