U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,999 posts, read 2,503,909 times
Default TV Help: if i buy a LCD TV or flat screen tv can I just pull it in the wall to get local cable?

I know before that digital conversion thing happen you could just pull up your tv as soon as you got it and watch local stations like nbc,abc,fox,wb(now cw) but since the conversion i haven't tried it with a newer tv.

so if i buy a digital tv i should be able to just pull it up right and not need anything to get local stations right? the room i want to put it has no cable line btw just a plug (the garage)

so do i need some kind of antenna,cable line or satellite?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM

113 posts, read 103,660 times
Yes. All TVs made from 2007 on have the digital turner as required by law. It does exactly what a converter box does for older TVs, the tuner is now just already in the TV itself.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM

6,802 posts, read 8,391,919 times
Just like any other TV, if you want to watch OTA (Over the air) programming you need an antenna, or a cable or sat subscription if you want more channels, the digital switch didn't change that.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,822,066 times
Yes, I connected my new flatscreen to "raw cable" and the channel scan found about 70 "analog" stations and 30 "digital" stations, including most of the local stations HD signal, in addition to their special channels, (movies, weather, etc.) that aren't available on the normal "digital cable" through the "cable box".

Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

113 posts, read 103,660 times
And I misread the question. As stated, you do need an antenna.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM

9,942 posts, read 7,654,920 times
make sure you get a new antenna, if you use an old antenna, all you will be able to get will be old TV shows like I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show. At least that's what the traveling antenna salesman told me.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,282,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
make sure you get a new antenna, if you use an old antenna, all you will be able to get will be old TV shows like I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show. At least that's what the traveling antenna salesman told me.
On that note ... (Yeah I know you are making a joke)

Do not listen to any of the "digital antenna" stuff, there is no such thing, antennas are designed for the frequency they are used for, not the mode of transmission.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM

3,335 posts, read 4,580,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Do not listen to any of the "digital antenna" stuff, there is no such thing,
We had *regular* TV sets, years ago.
Then came the change to HiDef, and we got the converter box, same old antenna (the one with the umpteen sticks sticking out).
Now we have *modern* flat panel TV sets. No idea why I got them, but if the wife says she wants a new one, what would you say after 40+ years ???

Up to two years ago, still same old antenna, then we get a bad wind storm, and antenna goes on a retirement plan ...
Brother in law sends me a drawing to make an antenna from a piece of wood, some coat hangers, nails and some more funny stuff.
For the heck of it I did build it, dang it ... It works!! Still use it and we do get all the OTA stations.

I think if you Google for it, you can find the plans for it.

I am NOT saying, do the same thing, but as mentioned above,
you Do need an antenna, so get one where they guarantee you get good reception in YOUR area.
We can *see* the Antenna towers on the mountains.
Some areas have inherent problems with antenna reception.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,282,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Some areas have inherent problems with antenna reception.

Yes, some people need to have an outside antenna to get good reception, but the antenna is purchased by frequency and distance(size), but no one should be fooled into buying a special "digital" antenna for their TV either inside or outside.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 4,580,313 times
Question to the OP is thus now:
Do you have an antenna on the roof now ?

If yes, see if that works.

Ours did, until it blew off the roof !

BTW, the doohicky antenna I made hides behind a picture frame close to the TV ...
Found a place that gave the best reception, and hung it there on the wall.
Keep in mind, we can *see* the transmission towers in the distance (about 25 miles away on the mountain top).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics