Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

I recently got Direct TV installed and it worked fine in 2 rooms. One room has always been perfect and never had a problem with it.

The other room with the main DVR has big problems. I'm hoping if I describe them someone will be able to give me an idea what to change out or fix. The TV is brand new(Sony) and it has direct tv and an xbox plugged into it. The xbox has perfect picture and sound. The xbox always works.

The direct tv is not working more than half the time. I called direct tv and they sent me a new receiver/dvr, and then I also replaced all the cables. I still have the same problem. I turn on the tv and the picture and sound work for a couple minutes, then I lose one or the other, or both. I get a message from the tv saying it has no signal.

If I reset the direct tv system by unplugging it, the sound and picture will come back. When we replaced the receiver, it worked for 6 straight hours. We turned it off thinking it was fixed. Then the next time we turned it on, the problem started again.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
How are the various devices connected? Are the Xbox and Dtv separately connected to the TV? Using HDMI or other? How do you switch from Xbox to Dtv? Have you tried reversing that connection setup? Put the Dtv on the Xbox input, Xbox on Dtv. How do you control those settings, from a TV interface? Are the Dtv cables secure, any loose connections? Do you use Xbox for streaming movies/TV?

By using new equipment from Dtv you've shown the problem is probably NOT Dtv. I run a Roku by HDMI and Dtv by cable to a Sony amp then HDMI to my TV. I get the no signal when I switch the Sony amp input from one to the other, but only momentarily. TV is RCA, LCD.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
This would be unusual, but if one of the power plugs isn't polarized, plug it into the socket flipped end for end and see if that makes a difference. The Sony may have a voltage leaking across that triggers it or the DTV receiver into a fault. I'd be ready to replace the tv.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
How are the various devices connected? Are the Xbox and Dtv separately connected to the TV? Using HDMI or other? How do you switch from Xbox to Dtv? Have you tried reversing that connection setup? Put the Dtv on the Xbox input, Xbox on Dtv. How do you control those settings, from a TV interface? Are the Dtv cables secure, any loose connections? Do you use Xbox for streaming movies/TV?

By using new equipment from Dtv you've shown the problem is probably NOT Dtv. I run a Roku by HDMI and Dtv by cable to a Sony amp then HDMI to my TV. I get the no signal when I switch the Sony amp input from one to the other, but only momentarily. TV is RCA, LCD.
The tv has multiple inputs. The x-box is on an input labeled game console. The satellite goes into the receiver as coax and to the tv as HDMI.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This would be unusual, but if one of the power plugs isn't polarized, plug it into the socket flipped end for end and see if that makes a difference. The Sony may have a voltage leaking across that triggers it or the DTV receiver into a fault. I'd be ready to replace the tv.
Yikes! I am scared now!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM

I think I will also try out that tv in the other room and see if I have the same problem there.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Did you replace the cables from the DVR to the dish? You may have a faulty cable between them, or maybe a bad port on the switch/lnb.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics