U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 9,238,664 times

Advertisements

I bought a Sony SLV-D100 DVD-VCR Combo at a garage sale. I was planning on selling it on ebay. But after testing it out I found that the tape player won't accept tapes. It keeps ejecting the tapes I put into it. Anway since I bought it cheap at a garage sale for $10 I thought about parting it out on ebay. So my question is does anyone know if these DVD-VCR combos contain any parts on the inside that many people may want to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM

I have another related question. Does anyone know of any electronic and machine products that tend to have valuable parts in them? I want to know what to look out for at future garage sales. What about TV's? I've seen a few old ones at some garage sales.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I've taken stuff like that apart. Some of the junk is OK for playing around with, but there is nothing of real value. The pancake motors can have some magnets, there are usually a couple cheap DC motors and gearing, and there can be a few microswitches.

Don't fool around with TVs unless you really know what you are doing.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
As far as fixing it I wouldn't bother. The combo units are usually bottom of the barrel junk and cheap to buy new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I have another related question. Does anyone know of any electronic and machine products that tend to have valuable parts in them?
Some VCR's are quite desirable. For example there is the JVC 9911 which retailed for about $350. If you find a decent unit you can probably get that for it used from the right person that knows what they are buying. That is the low end of high end VCR's that people want doing transfers to digital. I have new one someone would have to pry from cold dead hands.

You can't find quality machines in that price range, it's either the junk combo units or ones that cost mega bucks. There's a few features on it that make it desirable. It has a shuttle dial, ltbc and the big one is noise filter that is absolutely outstanding at removing Chroma noise which is like rainbow effect you see on some tapes that have been played a lot.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Looking around for info I came across this article about how you can make money with scrap electronics. It touches on a few ideas for making money with scrap electronics. The first step or idea seems more related to what I'am interested in. I figured this would be a good approach to making money from an electronic product that doesn't work well enough for me to sell on ebay.

Quote:

Step 1

Sell electronics for scrap. There is a market for the plastics, glass and metals in most electronics. Some people may deal with a difficult economy by opening recycling businesses. They collect electronic scrap and sell it to clients who will reuse the materials for industry. You can also do this in an individual way by selling your old, broken iPod or cell phone to an online business that will refurbish and resell it. Or, if you have the technical expertise, you can collect other people's broken cell phones and repair and resell them yourself.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-money-scrap-electronics-tvs-20557.html

Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Speaking of VCRs. This article is from 1986 back when VCRs were very popular. I bet these thieves would have gone nuts over todays DVD players.

Cypress / Westminster : VCRs Popular Items on Thieves' Shopping Lists - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM

9,801 posts, read 18,750,401 times
Its too bad you couldnt test the vhs/dvd player at the yard sale. Why anyone would buy a used tape player online baffles me. You can get them cheap at thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics