Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

What's the general thought on brand name HDMI cables?

I'm hooking a PS3 up to an HDMI input on our big-screen.

Cheapest HDMI cable in the store is $40 (and it goes way up from there).

Amazon.com has very highly rated cables (numerous reviews) starting at $1.72.

Is there a difference? If the signal is "all or nothing," how is there a difference?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Monoprice.com is a good source for HDMI cables. Don't pay $40.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 25,185 times
Just like anything else in life, quality can make a noticeable difference. A cable that costs you $1.72 might have unreliable solder connections, poor insulators, incorrectly aligned pins, low grade metals and cheap components. You should consider brands like Audioquest, Pro Solutions, Monster. Yes, you'll pay a bit more, but you'll know you've got good quality cables connecting your good quality gear. Don't forget that power conditioner/surge protector (Panamax or Monster are recommended).

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,627 times
i got my hdmi for my ps3 for $100 it looks magnificent

Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
I paid $7 for an HDMI cable and it looks every bit as good as those that are $80. More expensive isn't always better.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Well, I wound up paying $18 for a Belkin, so it's middle of the road, I think.

I have no problem spending money...I just have to feel like I'm getting something out of it.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:37 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
I paid $1.65 on ebay after listening to a radio station engineer tell about getting a great deal on surplus cable and making their own cables. He went on about how people were getting ripped of by gold tipped connectors and super shielded cables when the transmission difference between common run cable and the high end stuff was bearly measurable on the oscilloscopes. It seems that most of the difference is strictly in the perception and thus the expectation of a difference.

The quality of my picture and sound is so good I could not tell any difference when I compared with a $139 monster cable. Guess which cable went back to the store?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,998 times
Logically, if you buy something at a higher price, then you would expect higher quality! The thing that I learned in life is not black and white, but there is a middle area!

For my HDMI, I got a Sony just because it goes with my Sony HDTV and my Sony PS3!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
I have the cheap $3 cables from Amazon as well as a $60 one that came with the component I purchased. Neither one is better than the other.

I will agree with the above post on that the cheaper one is probably not going to last a long if its handled often (plug/unplug, coil/uncoil etc)... but at 20 times the cost, I can have 10 laying around and still save 50%. And for me, those cables have never been touched since I plugged them in.
The only time I would be concerned is if I have a longer than average run.

But for average distances (6-8')I absolutely see no need to pay THAT much more. Albeit I've come to the conclusion that buying cables (any type) at big box stores are just rip offs.... Ethernet cables at $20-$30 a run? um.... the $25 router comes with 2 cables.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I paid $1.65 on ebay after listening to a radio station engineer tell about getting a great deal on surplus cable and making their own cables. He went on about how people were getting ripped of by gold tipped connectors and super shielded cables when the transmission difference between common run cable and the high end stuff was bearly measurable on the oscilloscopes.
Your engineer friend is right. I've worked with television engineers and most of them make their own cables. Those guys and gals know that there's nothing magical about the signals that travel down these cables. Either a cable works or it doesn't.

If you think your gear is important, just imagine how important a piece of equipment is at a radio or TV station. Signals pass through there that are viewed/heard by many thousands of people. Commercials pass through there which mean many thousands of dollars of revenue for the station. If cables s/he made caused bad pictures and sound, do you think an engineer would keep his/her job very long? When the stakes are high, the people who know choose inexpensive cables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics