Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

The thing you need to remember about rechargeables, they are 1.2 volts, whereas regular AA's are 1.5 volts. You'll get more photos out of alkalines than you will rechargeables, but you'll get more life out of rechargeables over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Energizer Lithium AA batteries.
Are those *not* rechargeable ? Or am I thinking of some other kind.

Regardless, the ones mentioned here are not the cheapo kind at all !

I use two sets of 8 AA NimH batteries on my RC radio and each one is *rated* 1800 maH. I have been using those buggers for about 5 years.
When they run out of juice, I do use a battery cycler on them.

Back to OP message ...
Try some good batteries just one time, and see if you get a better result ?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I looked at my LG8300 cell phone. It takes photos but 1.5 pixels. That is even less than my camera which is 2.5 or thereabouts.
That's not necessarily an indication of quality, the larger pixels give you greater potential for more detail but a 3MP professional camera from 10 years ago is going to blow away a a brand new crappy 8MP camera. It's like comparing a small sports car to a dump truck. Don't let the MP be the only indicator for quality. That's going to play a factor even when comparing new cameras. Having said that 1.5MP is too small for something like a 8*10 print. If you're taking family photos I'd be looking for something at least in the 3MP range.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post

I use two sets of 8 AA NimH batteries on my RC radio and each one is *rated* 1800 maH. I have been using those buggers for about 5 years.
When they run out of juice, I do use a battery cycler on them.

Try some good batteries just one time, and see if you get a better result
texdav: Wal-mart sells AA NIMH batteries that will last much longer and average 10000 recharge cycle life if keep up.They will provide better extended voltage but be sure and by four if used two at a time.
...........Are those regular AA or re-chargeables?
They sound good if they can are the same as 10,000 re-chargeables.

irman:
your RC radio batteries are re-chargeable since you say you use a "cycler" on them? (and you buy a specific charger for specific re-chargeable batteries?)
Yes, my next step will be to try batteries that are made for cameras.

the coalman:
the issue with my current camera is it won't take good closeups for small items needed to be sold on Ebay. Example would be anything that is closer to the camera than about 12 inches or it's gets blurry. I once sold a WW2 scabbard. I could not get a non blurry photo with my camera. I actually had to lay the scabbard down on my scanner to give a very clear view of the numbers, etc. on the handle. I've actually scanned some items that no one would ever think to scan with a computer scanner. But, it works as long as I am careful and not scratching the glass. The only inconvenience is the scanned photos are many MB's and have to be reduced in size using IrvfanView (which is an excellent tool if anyone needs a photo editing tool)
Then possibly cropping using Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint.
-------------------------------------------------
Goodbye Rayovac, hello another brand.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
As far as getting clearer shots on your camera the object is well lit? The other thing is are you lightly depressing the button so it has plenty of chance to focus and adjust for conditions?

If you're doing all that you're simply too close, back up and use the zoom.

Quote:
The only inconvenience is the scanned photos are many MB's
You can reduce that by adjusting the DPI settings and the output settings. It really depends on the software you are using.

Quote:

Then possibly cropping using Microsoft Picture Manager or Paint.
You can do that in Irfanview.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM

my camera has no zoom feature.
It was bought in 2002.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Maybe it is time to invest in a new camera, huge advancements have been made in the last 10 years.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
irman:
your RC radio batteries are re-chargeable since you say you use a "cycler" on them? (and you buy a specific charger for specific re-chargeable batteries?)
Yes, my next step will be to try batteries that are made for cameras.
Yes they are rechargeable, and I use a *Cycler*, rather than a plain *recharger*.
A *cycler*, when set up for the right voltage and capacity, brings the total voltage down to a set level, (often they are not quite *empty*), and then it charges them to the maximum capacity level.
The battery cycler I have is (I assume) specifically made for RC use. The worst thing to have happen to you is loose control of your controller during the RC usage ....
The particular one I have, has a choice of voltage, and amount of cells.
Since I can Recharge/Cycle *single cells* I did use the same cycler to recharge my cells for my older digital camera that used the regular batteries rather than the proprietary ones the newer one have.
I do have a *newer* camera now, with the new battery that only fits in this camera, and I get a lot of pics with it before it stops automatically.

What I do like about a *new/recent* model camera is the size they come in now (often only slightly larger than a credit card, and a bit thicker), but I am NOT talking about the SLR cameras. My *old* digital was a bit bulky but I loved the swing-out preview window it had !!!

I am NOT trying to sway you to buy a new camera, but if you do compare the capabilities between an old one and a recent model, the capabilities are so much better, for not that many potatoes to fork over ...

The *new* one I bought, for less than 150 green ones (on sale), takes 14 mp pics (really good for cropping later), has a 5x zoom (I do NOT use the digital zoom capability, since that is nothing more than a *cropping* function), and because of the card size I put in, can take almost 90 minutes movie, or over 4000 pics at he largest resolution. It also has an external power source capability which I use for my purposes.

In the end, if you are still satisfied with your *old* camera, keep using it, but invest in better batteries.
I would NOT suggest to obtain a *cycler* like I have (pricey !!).
TowerHobbies.com | HCAP0280 Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Battery Cycler
Then save your pennies to at some time or another, get a more recent model wit a whole bunch of bells and whistles you probably would never use ...

I like my *new* one, but do miss the swing out preview window of my old one.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM

I thought digital camera prices would have come down, over the years.
My vintage Vivitar cost me around $65.00 on a one day, $20 off sale.

I just glanced at Staples and their lowest priced one is $99.00, Fuji I think.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Yes they are rechargeable, and I use a *Cycler*, rather than a plain *recharger*.
I believe the common term for that is a conditioner.

Quote:
I thought digital camera prices would have come down, over the years.
My vintage Vivitar cost me around $65.00 on a one day, $20 off sale.

I just glanced at Staples and their lowest priced one is $99.00, Fuji I think.
There are other stores besides Staples. Not that I condone shopping at bestbuy, but they have cameras starting at 20 or 30 bucks, although I wouldn't even consider one that cheap as it'll be seriously lacking in features and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics