Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

I have an older Vivitar Digital Camera, model 3315.
It uses two AA batteries.
I've gotten some good deals on batteries with sales at Walgreen or CVS.
However, they run down fairly quickly after 10-12 digital photos that are taken, say 1 per day, and transferred over to my computer.
If I take 10 pics at one time, of course the batteries give me more pics/battery.
I've looked at battery chargers on Ebay.
I see special batteries that are called "rechargeable" batteries, and you buy a battery charger with them.
I have no idea the battery life, of these type batteries.

How far has digital camera technology come, since I bought my camera many years ago, as far as batteries?

Any cameras that have an internal battery, like in a laptop, and when not in use, just keep the digital camera plugged into the front of your computer via a USB cord?
And that keeps it charged, and you can disconnect from the computer and take it with you on trips, etc. and you get X number of uses with it before needing a "computer" generated charge up?
Any such technology?

The main problem I have with the use of AA batteries, is the number of uses per battery (not number of photos per battery).

I might need a new camera since mine does not take good closeups.

If I keep my camera what are all my options on batteries?

If I get a new digital camera what battery charging technology is out there, in digital camera world.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Here is someone who had a Sony Cyber Shot.

It mentions the "battery in the camera" is dead and they have no charger.

So, it sounds like today's camera's come with internal batteries, and a wall mounted charger like a cell phone....?

looking around I saw a Vivitar 8300s 8.5 pixel.
The reviews said >> I really wanted a rechargeable camera but the battery doesn't hold a charge for longer than an hour. We only got to take 20 pictures on one charge and we turned it off between taking photos.

So, trying to isolate the best of 3 features:
Which camera has the best battery life, the most pixels, and the lowest price?

I know all three can't be achieved in one camera, or can it?
Anyone got a good deal on a high pixel and long battery life camera, with a wall charger?

Last edited by howard555; 05-04-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Rechargeables - $10 for the charger, $10 for 4 batteries. They'll recharge for about 3 years.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Wal-mart seels AA NIMH baterries that will last much longer and average 10000 recharge cycle life if keepup.They will provide better extended voltage but be sure and by four if used two at a time.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have no idea the battery life, of these type batteries.
Battery life is dependent on a lot of things. If you have a LCD screen that will use a lot power, if you're using the screen and assuming you have a viewfinder and can turn the LCD screen off that will help a lot in extending the amount of images you can take. Same thing with the flash.

Having said that 10 images is really low. I don't know what the typical battery life is but it's much more than that. Considering the cameras specs are very low I'd just go invest in a new one.

As far as internal batteries I wouldn't get one that had just internal batteries, most will allow for multiple charging options.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
I've gotten some good deals on batteries with sales at Walgreen or CVS.
However, they run down fairly quickly after 10-12 digital photos that are taken, say 1 per day, and transferred over to my computer.
There is your answer ...
When the two words *good* and *deals* come together, I always wonder ...

Get some good rechargeable ones, like mentioned above that are high quality and have a large capacity.
Except for no good close ups, is everything else OK with that *old* camera ?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
I might need a new camera
I think this realization is the most important part of your post. Todays cameras can take hundreds of photos/videos on a battery charge.

I prefer cameras that use standard AA batteries and not proprietary design rechargeables, that way you can carry extras and not worry if your rechargeables die.

My current camera (a Nikon) has taken a total of 875 pictures/videos since I bought it and it's still only on it's second set of Energizer Lithium AA batteries.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I think this realization is the most important part of your post. Todays cameras can take hundreds of photos/videos on a battery charge.

I prefer cameras that use standard AA batteries and not proprietary design rechargeables, that way you can carry extras and not worry if your rechargeables die.

My current camera (a Nikon) has taken a total of 875 pictures/videos since I bought it and it's still only on it's second set of Energizer Lithium AA batteries.
I've never tried the AA batteries made for digital cameras. Still getting rid of my stock pile via a sale price.
I was at Lowes today and at the register, 30 AA's for $4.00.
Unknown brand and surely very weak life.

From looking around at prices of cameras and features, the lower cost ones do not come with a charger. The ones that have a charger, the reviews seem to conclude that the charges do not last very long. If you have a camera with a charger and it won't hold a charge, it can not be converted to take AA.

They should make one both ways, AA or charger.
I looked at my LG8300 cell phone. It takes photos but 1.5 pixels. That is even less than my camera which is 2.5 or thereabouts. My camera is great except for those closeup shots needed for Ebay. I've had to use my scanner on those items.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
30 AA's for $4.00.
Unknown brand and surely very weak life.
That's probably a large part of your problem, you're using junk batteries.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's probably a large part of your problem, you're using junk batteries.
Never used the 30 for $4.00.

The best I've been using are Rayovac Alkaline.
I've got maybe a dozen more new ones and then be out.

Then I can go higher grade AA, or re-chargeables, or new camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics