Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,510,749 times

Advertisements

MiniDisk players: MiniDisc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't know how much this caught on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,692,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had a TurboGraphyx gaming system in 1990, that was another one before it's time. 4 player, had an adapter that gave you stereo output and memory. There was even a hand held version that used the same game cards:

Ir was a superior system but Sega killed it with better games.
Sorry, but that is out and out false. The TG-16 was basically an 8-bit system(modified 6502) with a decent graphics chip. It used waffer cards that had limited capacity and it had limited system memory. The Genesis was superior in just about every way, which is the main reason it won out. Interestingly enough, the TG-16 had a decent life in Japan, while the Genesis was a flop their.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,341,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Another were the so-called "network appliances". These were simply scaled-down, easy-to-use, very low-spec computer systems designed particularly for the internet. Their manufacturers thought that many people for whom the price of a full desktop computer (roughly $800-$1500 at the time) was a barrier would first experience the internet at home in this form. Some stores even offered them free of charge with an commitment to an ISP. Unfortunately, computers drastically lowered in price and users flocked to broadband.

One such computer, the New Internet Computer, sold for $199 (plus an additional $150 for the monitor), had a bizarre configuration: no hard drive, a CD-ROM drive running a customized distribution of Linux, 4 MB of Flash memory for system settings,

Linux and the New Internet Computer | Linux Journal
Maybe even more interesting is when an idea is left for dead but then comes roaring back with a vengance.

The New Internet Computer is long gone but today we have Chromebooks that are based on a similar idea.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 15,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
MiniDisk players: MiniDisc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really don't know how much this caught on.

Theres a small but insanely loyal following here in North America, i am one of them.

Last edited by Cogswell Cogs; 03-02-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Default CueCat

CueCat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,400,990 times
I always wanted to get into SACDs, but it seemed like the players were pretty expensive.

How about the laser turntable (record player)? The vinyl record is not touched by a needle when it's played, but basically the same concept as a CD player, except you get the analog sound and not digital. I have always wanted one since I love records, but way too expensive for my blood.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,788,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
How about the laser turntable (record player)? The vinyl record is not touched by a needle when it's played, but basically the same concept as a CD player, except you get the analog sound and not digital. I have always wanted one since I love records, but way too expensive for my blood.
Now that sounds cool, if only I had some records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics