U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM

3,809 posts, read 3,509,461 times

Advertisements

Saw an ad on TV showing a guy who found tons of rare coins and an expensive ring using a simple metal detector. Decided to get one. Bought a decent-priced model. Took it out back and dug in the yard. Ended up with nothing (except holes). Filled the holes, but the yard looked like heck.
Decided maybe I ought to be searching for buried treasure elsewhere. Wisely concluded that digging in the city park wouldn't be a very good idea. And I'm nowhere near a beach.
Figured I ought to dig some place where nobody would notice, like an empty lot or along railroad tracks. Read online that somebody owns every parcel of land-- including empty lots and railroad rights-of-way-- and that I'd better get permission before digging. But finding a land owner seemed like quite a difficult task. What would it hurt, I thought, to just dig a few little holes without permission? Quickly, I imagined myself sitting in jail, charged with trespassing and vandalism. Sigh.
So to date, I've used my handy-dandy metal detector just once.
How do people find places to dig for treasure?? Am I missing something??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Hmm, good question. Maybe we'll get some suggestions.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,230,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Saw an ad on TV showing a guy who found tons of rare coins and an expensive ring using a simple metal detector. Decided to get one. Bought a decent-priced model. Took it out back and dug in the yard. Ended up with nothing (except holes). Filled the holes, but the yard looked like heck.
Decided maybe I ought to be searching for buried treasure elsewhere. Wisely concluded that digging in the city park wouldn't be a very good idea. And I'm nowhere near a beach.
Figured I ought to dig some place where nobody would notice, like an empty lot or along railroad tracks. Read online that somebody owns every parcel of land-- including empty lots and railroad rights-of-way-- and that I'd better get permission before digging. But finding a land owner seemed like quite a difficult task. What would it hurt, I thought, to just dig a few little holes without permission? Quickly, I imagined myself sitting in jail, charged with trespassing and vandalism. Sigh.
So to date, I've used my handy-dandy metal detector just once.
How do people find places to dig for treasure?? Am I missing something??
Metal Detecting Hobby Resource

Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 AM

469 posts, read 777,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do any of you have the kind with the "discriminating circut"? This allows the detector to tell if it has detected a valuable metal over a nonvaluable metal.
Yes, but its not that simple. Some will tell you to dig everything, others will set the level high and go for the hard targets. Gold and nickel are similar in discrimination and can be ignored under certain conditions.

Zinc pennys and trash have similar signals. Steel & silver coins have solid tones. Soil content, salt water all have an effect on the discrimination value.

Point is it takes practice and learning your machine.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 9,238,664 times
How valuable are the coins you're likely to find underground? Has anyone tried selling any coins they found with a detector on ebay? If so how much did you get for them? How much would an old buried 1920's quarter go for on ebay?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM

18,127 posts, read 9,159,496 times
Do it for fun because it will be hard to justify the time spent vs. $ amount of old coins found. And if you dig on public property make sure to properly fill your holes so not to ruin it for the next guy. Get plenty of practice in your own yard first and maybe plant a coin garden to gain experience of the sounds your looking for.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Metal Detecting Clubs

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM

28,558 posts, read 19,848,813 times
i have one that i bought in 1979 for around $350 - today's equivalent would be over $1000. i found quite a bit of jewelry with it. the find i remember most, though, was a worn-out 1931 mercury dime at my old high school. it was deep enough - probably 9-10 inches - that the detector didn't beep, but the background hum went away. so i knew there was something there. i ended up scratching it badly with my digging tool by the time i got it to the surface, but it was already so worn out it didn't matter. it was worth around 4 dollars when i found it b/c the hunt brothers were trying to corner the silver market; but a few months later was only worth ~$1.
i'll bet i still have that dime in a box somewheres
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics