U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,576,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And I don't see a thing wrong with buying a LCD flat screen and watching SD on it.
Maybe they want to hang it on a wall? Maybe they are sick of a huge TV stand holding a 225lb TV in the middle of the living room and want a sleek stand to hold the 45lb new TV?

Now people who buy a BMW because the neighbor has an Audi? That's messed up.
It's not watching SD, it's only watching SD, including programs that are otherwise available in HD. If you spend the money for the features, at least use them.

But then there are the ignorant people who know nothing about their electronics other than the fact that they look nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's not watching SD, it's only watching SD, including programs that are otherwise available in HD. If you spend the money for the features, at least use them.

But then there are the ignorant people who know nothing about their electronics other than the fact that they look nice.
Maybe they bought it because it looks nice. That's fairly important... especially for something that you might spend a lot of time looking at... like a TV.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
And the other thing is some people just DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER.
I got a buddy, bought an LCD TV. Connected it up. Thought he was getting a better picture. He didn't buy it to BE COOL.

Time Warner has free HD Channels. I stopped by his house.
He's watching Channel 3. As in 03.
"Dude, why aren't you watching this in HD?"
"I'm not?"
"Switch to 1003".
1-0-0-3
"Holy s---!"
"Uh, yea...."

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And the other thing is some people just DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER.
I got a buddy, bought an LCD TV. Connected it up. Thought he was getting a better picture. He didn't buy it to BE COOL.

Time Warner has free HD Channels. I stopped by his house.
He's watching Channel 3. As in 03.
"Dude, why aren't you watching this in HD?"
"I'm not?"
"Switch to 1003".
1-0-0-3
"Holy s---!"
"Uh, yea...."
This is so true. Even people who have paid a so-called pro to set up their gear can't be sure their system is maximized for best performance. Then, people have no idea how to use what they have, so if it simply operates, they're happy. But really the big issue I see is that people don't know what they're missing. They've been brainwashed to think "cubes" are the ultimate speaker system, and all TVs come from the same factory, so they must be all the same. Many people have never heard a great sound system, nor have they seen a TV that is properly adjusted. They don't know what they don't know.

Misinformation given out is the basis for much of this, no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics