Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM

178 posts, read 328,532 times

Advertisements

Until we sold our home to rent a small condo in a very desirable location, I had an office set up with a large desktop computer, surround sound, printer, scanner and all equipment at my fingertips. Now, my "office" is a 15" laptop on the eating area table and I have no speakers (to speak of) except a cheap one that clips onto the laptop. I am not whining but I do miss that good woofer and speakers that I used daily while doing my work at home. I am wishing for a good speaker system that doesn't take up much space but will give me decent sound for my music. My work area is half as big as the one in the house, so it doesn't have to be huge and I don't want to pay a lot of money for a Bose (paying for the name?) Wireless would be great too but I do have a place nearby to set up a small system. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
IMHO, from 25+ years in the AV business and being a hobbyist...

Wireless is not a good option for quality, if you mean wireless speakers. The issue is that they are assumed to be about convenience, not quality. The amplifiers built in to (most) wireless speakers are weak.

Bose is not expensive. So even if you're paying Bose prices for some other setup, you're not necessarily paying a lot. But I have yet to find a comparably priced product that doesn't outperform Bose by a significant margin. They have some useful products, but their standard speakers are not competitive at all. Bose has a couple catch phrases coined by people in the AV business, but my favorite is "Better Sound Through Marketing".

I've had a lot of success with this:

Wireless Home Music Systems and HiFi Music Players from Sonos

The Sonos lets you access many online music services, plus any music you have on your computer(s), and another music source as well. Your computer or smart phone is the controller.

I like their Connect:Amp, which you would then connect any pair of speakers you want, and a powered sub if you choose. I've been told by a reliable friend, but haven't heard for myself, that their Play:5 and Play:3 sound pretty good, but I'm skeptical of anything that small.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

178 posts, read 328,532 times
Thanks for the link and especially for confirming my impression of Bose. I bought some Bose headphones for my husband and when I tried them they didn't sound any better than my $20 Sony hphones. I'll find something that works for me and if you have any other thoughts, please feel free to let me know - I'll check this site often to see what's up.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxLiving View Post
Thanks for the link and especially for confirming my impression of Bose. I bought some Bose headphones for my husband and when I tried them they didn't sound any better than my $20 Sony hphones. I'll find something that works for me and if you have any other thoughts, please feel free to let me know - I'll check this site often to see what's up.
Read through the Sonos website and check out their videos. For someone who is not involved in audio stuff a lot, it's a very different product. I've owned several in the last 5 years, but didn't realize how versatile it is until I started designing system for other people using the Sonos gear. It's easily expandable to other rooms too, including to existing sound systems.

If the Sonos doesn't do it for you, consider one of the shelf systems by Yamaha. They are no frills and simple, but more performance oriented. You can connect your laptop to them but not wirelessly, I think.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
If you want high quality portable sound for the laptop in a fantastic package, consider the Jawbone Jambox. It is bluetooth, known to have outstanding sound for the size, etc.

Jawbone JAMBOX Wireless Speaker | Hi-Fi Audio, Speakerphone & more

Read the professional reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics