U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,029,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
As far as why it stopped working? That I don't know, but seeing as how complicated a Blu-Ray player is - they are basically single-purpose computers - I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a reset.
Looks like you hit the nail on the head. I unplugged the Blu-ray player and plugged it back in. I am getting sound now.

The receives indicates that the audio is 5.1ch Dolby Pro Logic. Click here for a picture (sorry for the poor focusing.)

Thanks to all of you for your assistance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
^ good to see the problem is solved!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,307 times
Funny how on all forums everyone says that the toslink cannot handle a multichannel stream. Well my old DVD player and old 7.1 (ES, 5.1) receiver will read and differentiate between stereo PCM and 5.1 Digital using optical. But a modern Blue Ray player cannot send such a simple stream? Most fiber cables have the capability of multichannel signals & that's why they're the means of most modern communication. Sad that I have to trash my old, awesome receiver, or buy some box because of lazy all-in-one cables. I'm not even thirty yet, and now I know how my parents & grandparents felt about technology when I was younger. Even sadder everyone just accepts this. C'mon 5.1 was doable via optical transmission. Seems the manufactures want you to buy a soundboard or new theater system. Please someone make a Blue Ray player with just a plain perfect 5.1.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
First of all it is Blu-ray, not Blue Ray.

I have found that many Blu Ray discs do not even have a 5.1 English soundtrack. So the optical data stream will not have 5.1 at all in many cases. The optical stream can send a DD-HD or DTS-HD datastream as PCM - but your old receiver cannot decode it.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,307 times
Interesting, hoffdano, how you first call it "Blu-ray" then call it "Blu Ray" in your next paragraph. So which is it? -Haha. Don't need anyone to correct what spell check did for me.
Most players I've encountered only emit 2.0 standard PCM stereo audio from the optical toslink connection. So, uhh?
I was just venting in the last post and still just don't know why they'd do this to us. My JVC DD DTS ES receiver is awesome!

The new lossless 5.1 buried within the HDMI cable can be converted to ac3 DD codec via toslink & an external pass-through adapter. So why did manufacturers not make it internal? It is, after all, just an encoding method & should not be too excruciating for them to implement internally. Especially if Joe Blo Co can design one that's external.

I should add that since DVDs don't have lossless 5.1, all their codecs are now unimportant? That's cruddy backwards compatibility for these 'players.' This is a sad time for my JVC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics