Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 51,837 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well, my 7 year old DLP television sounds like a hovercraft about to take off on power up. I've been reading this is usually the color wheel. I replaced the bulb a few months ago. Does anyone know of any stores that carry these things locally? I see lots of suppliers online but of course, want it fixed now and would pay few more dollars to simply pick on up. Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Is it really worth repairing?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agathis View Post
Hi all,

Well, my 7 year old DLP television sounds like a hovercraft about to take off on power up. I've been reading this is usually the color wheel. I replaced the bulb a few months ago. Does anyone know of any stores that carry these things locally? I see lots of suppliers online but of course, want it fixed now and would pay few more dollars to simply pick on up. Thanks all!!
Just an FYI, Agathis . . .

Not too long ago neighbors of mine were having problems with their huge DLP TV (not certain of age or manufacturer) and decided to have it repaired rather than replacing it. After many many weeks in the shop plus a few hundred bucks in parts and labor, it still was not working properly so they finally ended up buying a new LED / LCD TV for about the same amount of the repair estimates.

GOOD LUCK . . . sometimes fixing is just not practical and/or cost effective.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
This is not something you are likely to find locally. There are on-line parts places (ask Mr. Google). That's probably the best way to get parts.

By the way- same thing for appliance parts- if you are handy you can save a bunch on repairs. Things that aren't economic to have serviced by a serviceman become much more reasonable if you do it yourself.

Even so- LCD TVs are quite cheap these days.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
I don't know about the part you need, but we got a replacement lamp from Amazon.com for way less expensive than we could find locally .

Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Arizona Video and Electronics, Scottsdale. The guy is good at what he does and I believe fair in his pricing.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Unfortunately, from what I've heard the bulb problem is a reoccurring problem with DLP tv's. There is a poster from Phoenix ( and a techie guy) that I know that described his frustration with his and after replacing several bulbs threw in the towel and bought a new tv.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM

26 posts, read 51,837 times
What is the best/least maintenance type out there currently? LCD?? I am really not up on them but seems like it might be worth $100 to try?? I paid $2500 for that sucker 7 years ago, boy they've come down in price.Thanks,

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Unfortunately, from what I've heard the bulb problem is a reoccurring problem with DLP tv's. There is a poster from Phoenix ( and a techie guy) that I know that described his frustration with his and after replacing several bulbs threw in the towel and bought a new tv.
Bulbs are a consumable part with DLP. They have come down quite a bit in price over the past few years, fortunately. I have DLP and a Plasma and an LCD big screen. The plasma has the best picture by a long shot, but weighs a ton. LCD is OK, but in my DLP size (73) would cost much more than a new bulb every two or so years does.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I've got to say I'm totally in loooove with the new Samsung 70 inch. What a picture and from all angles including close up!!!
Wonder how much I could get for my lightly used kid as a trade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics