U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM

5,372 posts, read 11,278,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
What is the model number and name of the TV?
TV= LG Flattron model 2762D
Mainly used as external monitor for laptop.
Once and a while used to watch Netflix movies

Quote:
Your TV doesn't want to auto adjust to the output signal from the cable box. Set your TV to 720 and see if the problem goes away.
Not aware of how that can be done on this model TV.
The *menu* does an option, which *I think* is what you want me to do, but it is *greyed out*. It says *Resolution*

Just a few minutes ago I tried again watching Netflix via HDMI with no problems ...
Definitely a different picture when you compare HDMI and YRW

BTW, If you go to the LG website
LG M2762D-PM: 27" Widescreen Full HD LCD monitor TV | LG USA
and look for this model, it is a similar one as they have a pic for except there is no side thingy visible on one of the pics. Image 2 shows some rectangular thingy on the right hand side of the pic, I do have that on my unit ! Mine is NOT the PM model.
It does say, it has *Autoresolution*.

TIA

Last edited by irman; 06-07-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Ir - How old is the cable box? And what is the Netflix being transmitted by (Roku, Laptop)?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM

I-Luv: On the back of your cable box does it have a HDMI hole or maybe a Red,Blue,Green,Red, White series of holes?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 29,260,991 times
Quote:
I-Luv: On the back of your cable box does it have a HDMI hole or maybe a Red,Blue,Green,Red, White series of holes?
Yes, it has all of those.

The TV also has an HDMI slot.

I am going to get a HDMI cable and connect them. Is there any particular brand of cable that anyone recommends or are they all about the same?

Thank you to all who answered my question!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, it has all of those.

The TV also has an HDMI slot.

I am going to get a HDMI cable and connect them. Is there any particular brand of cable that anyone recommends or are they all about the same?

Thank you to all who answered my question!!!
Don't fall for the hype of the expensive cables, a $5 cable will work just as good as a $50 cable. (Monster brand cables are popular and a complete waste of money) Don't let some flunky with a store brand shirt on try to up-sell you. (not that they would do that )

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
a $5 cable will work just as good as a $50 cable.
Can't you just go over to the office for the cable company and get it for free? If not go to BigLots or somewhere similar and get the least expensive you can find. When you get home with it, plug it into the box and into the TV. Then on your remote press input and change it to the HDMI number you plugged it into on the TV. From that moment in time forward you should enjoy a much better picture.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

16,408 posts, read 29,260,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Don't fall for the hype of the expensive cables, a $5 cable will work just as good as a $50 cable. (Monster brand cables are popular and a complete waste of money) Don't let some flunky with a store brand shirt on try to up-sell you. (not that they would do that )
What are good stores to shop for cables at?

Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Ir - How old is the cable box? And what is the Netflix being transmitted by (Roku, Laptop)?
First some corrections to my previous message.
The TV/monitor I have does NOT have the thing on the side of the pic number 2.
The Monitor is about the same age, maybe a few months newer.
Strange that the LG website does not have the unit I have anywhere listed. !

The *box* mentioned, is a ROKU XD box, about a 18 months now.
As far As I can remember, the *out of range* error message occurs maybe 2 times out of ten on the average.

I usually start with the HDMI connection, and when it does not work, I change the cable, change the input and I am happily watching Netflix ...
Come to think of it, this error message is only coming up the last few moths or so ...
Maybe the TV monitor is getting tired or ... ?
Since there are HDMI cables ranging in price from 5 bucks to over a hundred dollars, could the cable be the culprit ?
If yes, I will get a new cable but then how much should I spent on a new HDMI cable. Those pricey ones seem hogwash to me.

When I watch regular TV, the output is pretty good (I think ...) The Monitor does have an internal tuner.

We bought the monitor when it was on a 24 hour sale, and the funny part was that they had two models, one made by LG, and one made by Samsung. They looked identical from the back (the connections) but were different from the front. Also the LG had a tilt/rotate (like a Lazy Susan ?) function so we got the LG unit.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by irman; 06-08-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Ir - The Roku you have sends out multiple signals depending on which movie you choose. The TV is supposed to automamtically sense the change in input signal. Its intermittantly not changing with the signal possibly coming out of the Roku at 1080p HD and the TV not recognizing it and thus setting it to a lower number. With the mismatch you get the out of range error (basically stating the resolution is to high for it to be seen) The YRB cable is SD or 480 and thus is seen by everything at low resolution. Thus your LG is slowly failing. All our large TVs are Samsungs and all our small TVs are Sceptres. So if you're thinking of replacing the TV go to Walmart.com and order the 32" Sceptre for $190-$216 (the $216 has the matching max resolution of your Roku). It has a nice clear screen.

Quote:
Since there are HDMI cables ranging in price from 5 bucks to over a hundred dollars, could the cable be the culprit ?
99% chance of No. Plus neither of your devices are using the new standard 1.4 cables. I buy the $2-$3 cables online (Ebay from US). The only reason to get better cables would be if you needed for shielding due to too much RF interference in the room ( too many wireless devices ) or you have a device that is a 1.4 ARC HDMI which online in $8.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-08-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thus your LG is slowly failing. All our large TVs are Samsungs and all our small TVs are Sceptres. So if you're thinking of replacing the TV go to Walmart.com and order the 32" Sceptre for $190-$216 (the $216 has the matching max resolution of your Roku). It has a nice clear screen.
OK, if that is the case, I will continue to just do what I have been doing, and then finally keep watching via the YRW cables, until the whole thing gives up.
Then go the the most recent model at a decent price again.

I have come to really like a 27 inch screen as a laptop external monitor.

Thanks for all the info.

BTW, when we bought the monitor, I also purchased an extra warrantee, that is valid for 5 years. The terms are that if it fails for any reason, we will get the money back (what we paid for less tax), as a *downpayment* (??) for another (any brand we like) one. At least that is how it was explained to us and from what we read, it seemed to be the case ...
We'll see if they will really do that.

All things taken into consideration, as a computer monitor, it is not half bad. Because it is a 60 Hz unit, when I watch a movie on Netflix, that has really fast moving scenes across the screen, I do see some small blocks, once and a while but very rarely. The next time I will replace this monitor, I will make sure that is is at least 120 Hz.

A bit off topic, but anyway ...
Any particular reason why your large TV's are Samsung made ? And the same question for your small TV units, why Sceptre ?
We do not have a large flat screen TV yet (still watching a Mitsubishi 32 inch half ton unit ...), but are looking getting a 40 inch unit, maybe a bit bigger like 46 ?
TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics