U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Any particular reason why your large TV's are Samsung made ? And the same question for your small TV units, why Sceptre ?
We do not have a large flat screen TV yet (still watching a Mitsubishi 32 inch half ton unit ...), but are looking getting a 40 inch unit, maybe a bit bigger like 46 ?
Basically Samung makes the best screen. So based on tons of research and wanting to upgrade the bedroom and living room. I chose the UN46D7000 (46") and the UN55D7000 (55") the quality of the picture and sound are perfect. Also they can be connected wireless to the internet (through the home router). Also they are extremely light, so setting them up in their locations was simple. The sound is so clear that my sound system in the LR has been pulled from the shelves and placed into storage and the soundbar in the BR has been moved to my home computer. Both were purchased online bundled with Wireless Bluray players, 3D movies, 3D glasses and cables for hundreds less than buying just the TV at BestBuy (TV to TV was a $600-$700 difference). The quality is just spectacular. The Sceptre TV's were chosen for guest rooms, people who visited with kids and high traffic touching. They also have a nice picture and a nice clear sound. But they are also extremely light( I got the 32" LED 120hz for $189 + free shipping), thus people can pick them up and easily move it to where they wanted. Plus for these TVs I found online DVD players for $11 and cheap wireless Rokus (1st version). Also if someone knocked one over or somehow broke it, it isn't a big deal. So in conclusion based on 1000's of reviews these two manufacturers stand out based on numerous requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What are good stores to shop for cables at?
Probably what's close to you. Best Buy, even home improvement stores like Lowe's carry them now. Any store that sells TV's should have them.

Just don't over pay, the $6 cable will do the same thing a $60 cable does. I just looked at BB's site and they have 6 foot cables from $3.54 to $695.99 But don't pay over $10 for a 6' cable.

I order mine through Amazon.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 AM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
The LG monitor - is it connected to the Roku box via the yellow composite connection? Composite can only transmit up to 480 image lines and that "out of range" message could be the TV telling you that a 720 or 1080 line image is present in the Roku box but it cannot make it to the TV. You will need to use the component (red/green/blue) connection or HDMI to transmit those formats.....and to make things more complicated more and more video devices are preventing the 720/1080 formats from traveling over the component outputs - which unlike HDMI are unencrypted - due to copyright & piracy concerns (you can pretty much thank greedy and paranoid Hollywood movie studio execs for this ).

Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
You will need to use the component (red/green/blue) connection or HDMI to transmit those formats.....
If you would have taken the time to read the post, this is where the problem exists currently. The TV is not auto switching to the different HD signals coming out of the Ruko. Thus he drops to YRW SD signal where it transmits a 480 signal to a 480 input.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Another question:
I can also look at Netflix via my laptop.
What is the resolution when I do that ?
When I check the settings it says *1920x1080 - recommended*)
I rarely do watch Netflix via my laptop because I like to keep an eye on the *Net* (E-mail watch) on my laptop while I look at Netflix on the external monitor via the ROKU box.

To NeilVA:
Thanks for the *reasons* for TV brand choice.

The worst thing is that my wife says:
You were able to work on projects that fly to the moon, and now you can not figure out what is wrong with your monitor ???
To that I always and up with :
Oh well ...

Even worseder (???) is that in the garage/workshop, I am watching regular TV (with the converter box!)on a very old Panasonic bought in Germany at the PX in 1982. It can even watch PAL TV besides NTSC (which in Germany meant Never The Same Colour)!!!
Just do not touch the controls, or the picture falls over !!! If that happens then you bang it on the left about three inches form the top !
Repeat after me ... Oh well ....

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I can also look at Netflix via my laptop.
What is the resolution when I do that ?
When I check the settings it says *1920x1080 - recommended*)
Without going into a load of techspeak 1080p means 1920x1080 progressive scan. 1080p is lines & 1920x1080 is pixels.

Quote:
The worst thing is that my wife says:
You were able to work on projects that fly to the moon, and now you can not figure out what is wrong with your monitor ???
Mine says: You can fly to India to setup (repair) the servers on a call center, but you don't have time to check the oil in my (her) car.

Quote:
....Panasonic bought in Germany at the PX in 1982. It can even watch PAL TV besides NTSC ...
I have one of those too (and the matching VCR). It plays PAL & SECAM and has SCART connectors. I picked it up at AAFES many many years ago.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
...The worst thing is that my wife says:
You were able to work on projects that fly to the moon, and now you can not figure out what is wrong with your monitor ???...
My favorite story along those lines, from being in the A/V business 25 years...

Although my focus was on system design and larger projects rather than selling a box over the retail counter, Saturdays could be very lucrative for me in both aspects. So I'm slogging through a retail Saturday and guy walks in, all excited about getting a whole surround system. We chat a bit, and he tells me that he is a pilot who has just been certified to fly the new 777 Boeing. He tells me how the computers can basically operate it from takeoff to landing, etc., etc. He is animated when he describes the four redundant systems and all the other safeguards in place, and says that the pilot is almost unnecessary.

We put together a substantial system (making my presence on this Saturday very worthwhile for me!) and set up the install date. I explain that I will be around for the whole process and for at least one follow-up visit. He says "That's great, because I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff. My VCR has blinked 12:00 for years, because I can't figure out how to program it".

Wait, what was that?

I jokingly ask, "What is your function on this jet, if the computer renders the pilot as nearly unnecessary, and you've admitted to not being overly technically capable?" He says, " If it all breaks, I'm the last resort."

I ask "So if the $250 million state of the art jetliner, with quadruply redundant computer systems and hundreds of other safety features, fails, 400+ passengers will be putting their lives in the hands of a guy who can't program his VCR???" He smiled and said "YEAH!"

I went over that discussion every time I boarded a plane for many years.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,053 times
so, I just bought my first HDTV a few days ago and had NO clue how to set it up, at first. I did eventually manage to make it work and then I checked out YouTube when I decided it was time to try connecting the roku box also. It seems I've got it all worked out, and I'm feeling smart as hell... But, here's the dumb question, I now have the TV connected via hdmi cable, as well as the coaxl because it's the one I'd started with when I was first trying to set it up, before I tried the hdmi, so can I now unplug that one? I mean since the hdmi cable is plugged in, doesn't that mean the coaxle is pointless?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 PM

1,847 posts, read 4,150,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlome View Post
so, I just bought my first HDTV a few days ago and had NO clue how to set it up, at first. I did eventually manage to make it work and then I checked out YouTube when I decided it was time to try connecting the roku box also. It seems I've got it all worked out, and I'm feeling smart as hell... But, here's the dumb question, I now have the TV connected via hdmi cable, as well as the coaxl because it's the one I'd started with when I was first trying to set it up, before I tried the hdmi, so can I now unplug that one? I mean since the hdmi cable is plugged in, doesn't that mean the coaxle is pointless?
Congrats on figuring out the connections.

I may have missed it in your post, but where is the other end of the coax? One end is in the TV, and the other end is in...

HDMI cables carry both sound and video

Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Unplug the coax, you'll have to switch the TV input to HDMI if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics