Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 03:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlome View Post
so, I just bought my first HDTV a few days ago and had NO clue how to set it up, at first. I did eventually manage to make it work and then I checked out YouTube when I decided it was time to try connecting the roku box also. It seems I've got it all worked out, and I'm feeling smart as hell... But, here's the dumb question, I now have the TV connected via hdmi cable, as well as the coax because it's the one I'd started with when I was first trying to set it up, before I tried the hdmi, so can I now unplug that one? I mean since the hdmi cable is plugged in, doesn't that mean the coax is pointless?
If you have a cable box, the coax cable connects to it. From the cable box you run only the hdmi cable (running the coax cable from the cable box just sends a low resolution duplicate feed to another input which is pointless) to the TV.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
How can I use one cable box with two tvs with out using a splitter.....someone told me to use the hdmi from the TV to the cable box on one tv and use the coax cable that comes in the house on the other tv.....
I did but I only get a blue screen on the TV with the hdmi n the channel name no video

Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl3z View Post
How can I use one cable box with two tvs with out using a splitter.....someone told me to use the hdmi from the TV to the cable box on one tv and use the coax cable that comes in the house on the other tv.....
I did but I only get a blue screen on the TV with the hdmi n the channel name no video
Look on your TV's remote (the one that came with the TV, not the cable remote) and you will find a button labelled something like "input." Press that button and out of the choices, choose HDMI. Then your TV should work fine.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM

336 posts, read 591,812 times
Quote:
Splitter is your best bet. They are not that expensive. Consider this one from Monoprice - 1X2 HDMI® Splitter with 3D and 4K Support - Monoprice.com. Note that you may need an EDID management device if the two TVs have different capabilities. E.g., one TV can process surround some while the other cannot. If both TVs are 1080p and you are only using the TV speakers then you should be fine.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
How can I use one cable box with two tvs without using a splitter.....someone told me to use the hdmi from the TV to the cable box on one tv and use the coax cable that comes in the house on the other tv.....
On the back of your cable box does it have a HDMI hole and a Red,Blue,Green,Red,White series of holes?

If Yes, then run HDMI to one TV and run Red,Blue,Green,Red,White wires to the other TV.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The correct order is:

HDMI-best, plus it carries audio and video on one cable, supports all the latest surround formats, has 2-way communication in some cases, and is the only connection that supports 1080P.

audio plus DVI video-seldom seen on source components for the home user
arent dvi and hdmi the same (both digital). its just the plugs that are wired differently (like usb-a and usb-b) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What are good stores to shop for cables at?
monoprice.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 PM

336 posts, read 591,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
arent dvi and hdmi the same (both digital). its just the plugs that are wired differently (like usb-a and usb-b) ?monoprice.
DVI is video only (no audio). Also, DVI does not support HDCP (IIRC) so you may not be able to play contents that are HDCP protected such as Blu-Ray discs.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:27 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
^ visual quality wise ? i read a blog where they compared monster cables with wire hangers and no one could tell the difference.

edit that was actually for audio but same principle:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/can-tell...ant/64995.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics