U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
.........My 25 years in the A/V business designing, selling and installing or overseeing the installation of all manner of mobile and home electronics systems tells me that many (most?) people have no desire to figure all this stuff out on their own. How many homes have I gone into where the homeowner (client, friend, neighbor, date, etc.) has an HD box, and HDTV, and is watching non HD channels when HD is available, and in the worst possible aspect possible? Dozens, with every variant of that as well. One of my neighbors put in his own budget surround system over a year before I saw it. He was telling me that the picture often didn't look right. I picked up the cablebox remote, changed one setting, and was suddenly revered as a genius. These are TVs; devices that people use all the time. Many lives revolve around them! These people just suffered along.

That surround system guy didn't know to clean the filter on his projector monthly, and wondered why it was eating lamps every few months. The filter was clogged when I looked at it, and there was obvious heat damage
on the inside of the projector from lack of airflow. He also didn't understand that turning the sub all the way up wasn't the best setting. All of this is common knowledge to anyone who has read an owner's manual, but he didn't bother, and never knew the difference. I see it every day.

A client I'm working with right now is a perfect example. He is wealthy, business-brilliant, hardworking, a great guy and family man. What he isn't is tech inclined, nor is he interested in figuring out all the gear he has. He simply wants it to work, in the simplest manner possible. He is representative of most of my clients........It's fact, and it's so common that it's more often the norm than not.
You pretty much described my own years at a big-box store selling HT and mobile audio!

There's a reason Bose sells so many of those Lifestyle sound systems, even though myself and many other audio hobbyists believe there are better-sounding but much less expensive separates systems out there: they do just enough of what most people want them to do and do it with a minimum of hassle (not a bad philosophy actually, but I still think they cost way too much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
HDMI is best. That's what I've done in the past to hook up my iPad to my Onkyo receiver. In addition to the HDMI cable, you'll also need the Apple Digital AV adapter: Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
HDMI being the best is correct. But the AV adapter consistently has problems. Even if you find the newest version of it, the quality control of whomever manufactures is terrible. Just read the reviews. The OP may have to go through a few just to get a working one. Some are lucky in the first one and many aren't. This is the reason I specified the option in #3.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
HDMI being the best is correct. But the AV adapter consistently has problems. Even if you find the newest version of it, the quality control of whomever manufactures is terrible. Just read the reviews. The OP may have to go through a few just to get a working one. Some are lucky in the first one and many aren't. This is the reason I specified the option in #3.
I'm sure I could find this myself but you seem readily knowledgeable about it. Is this an Apple part you're referring to? Or some OEM part? As I said I have no experience with the Ipad and its accessories, but I would think Apple wouldn't allow so many problems with their own items.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
You pretty much described my own years at a big-box store selling HT and mobile audio!

There's a reason Bose sells so many of those Lifestyle sound systems, even though myself and many other audio hobbyists believe there are better-sounding but much less expensive separates systems out there: they do just enough of what most people want them to do and do it with a minimum of hassle (not a bad philosophy actually, but I still think they cost way too much).
My career has been mostly in specialty and custom A/V, so Bose has never been a big part of what I did. But you're right, I don't know anyone in the biz I was in that liked Bose at all. Some used Bose gear they'd earned through points, but no one bragged about it! For what they are the Lifestyle systems do fit a niche and don't sound bad. But their performance to price ratio is terrible. Without selling against them (we did carry them; rather make a Bose sale than no sale, and I found that people who want Bose will not be denied) I explained that for the same money much better performance could be had. Some people jsut preferred the simplicity of Bose. Different strokes.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc
Is this an Apple part you're referring to?
Did you even bother clicking on the link?? Its an Apple part.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Did you even bother clicking on the link?? Its an Apple part.
I didn't see the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics