Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

I have vcr tapes of movies I'd like to watch. The VCR just died after I moved and also need to see what's on the unmarked one'd I recorded I might want to keep. I've checked the prices for new ones, mostly on amazon, but either they are junk or way way expensive.

I also have a dvr and use it extensively. I'd like a backup. On Amazon I can get a dual system with a 4 head vcr and a dvr, magnavox like the other one, for about a hundred. The kicker is it has an enhansed output to the tv of 1080dpi. This is highly tempting and would use it to play my dvd's too.

Walmart for a decent amout less sells the sameone without the enhacement. I can 'take it back' with either if it doesn't work. I could also use this to edit the stack of recorded dvd's I have, but other units could do it.

My tv is a 26 inch, 720dpi Sanyo with a beautiful picture, but some 'older' stuff lookes awful. I was referbished but works beautifully. It can accept 1080 dpi input. But would it make *that* much of a difference on a 26 inch.

I was going to get a 32 inch one, but would have had to redesign the entertainment center so went down to the 32.

I'd rather have a working vcr over a blue ray so a blue ray is presently of no interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
GiGO. No exceptions. Your VCR tapes will never look anywhere as good as even a basic DVD.

You say you saw a VCR/DVR combo. That's a new thing to me, What I think you mean is a VCR/DVD. Generally upscaling units only work on the DVD part, not the VHS part.

What do you mean by editing your DVDs? How do you plan on backing up your DVR? The most practical way to back up a DVR is via harddrive, if your DVR will perform that function. Using a recording device to backup a DVR will have to be done in real time.

720 vs 1080 on a 26" TV will show little if any difference. Older stuff like VHS looks bad on newer TVs for a variety of reasons, the main one being now you can really see how bad VHS was. Plus formatting becomes an issue.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
GiGO. No exceptions. Your VCR tapes will never look anywhere as good as even a basic DVD.

You say you saw a VCR/DVR combo. That's a new thing to me, What I think you mean is a VCR/DVD. Generally upscaling units only work on the DVD part, not the VHS part.

What do you mean by editing your DVDs? How do you plan on backing up your DVR? The most practical way to back up a DVR is via harddrive, if your DVR will perform that function. Using a recording device to backup a DVR will have to be done in real time.

720 vs 1080 on a 26" TV will show little if any difference. Older stuff like VHS looks bad on newer TVs for a variety of reasons, the main one being now you can really see how bad VHS was. Plus formatting becomes an issue.
It's a vcr with a dvd recorder. No hard drive. I usually copy in real time. Also, as I don't have a cd player that won't skip, I play them on the computer and patch them to the dvd recorder and do a sound disc so I can listen with the computer off. For some reason cd's here and there just skip half the song. Easier and cheaper than spending a lot for an expensive player.

I don't intend to use it as a tuner. It's not that much more than the one with no upscaling, and if it improved the picture it would be good. I ended up spending less on the tv since I read several places that a 26 inch won't show much of a difference. The reviews say the videos do look much better with the enhancement, though not up the quality of a dvd.

I may get one. Mainly I wondered if the difference between the 720 and 1080 input was worth the cost of the enhancement. I am very happy with my tv, and hopefully won't need a new one soon. The good sound system is hooked into my cable system those true sterio soundtracks don't destroy the tv speakers.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mainly I wondered if the difference between the 720 and 1080 input was worth the cost of the enhancement.
There is lot you can do with VHS but only really worth it if they are home movies that irreplaceable, are they home movies?

Scaling up really isn't something that is going to make a better picture, I like to equate as not making it worse. If you have a good scaler what it will do is keep nice crisp lines instead of blurring them, it doesn't add detail. Think of a picture of dalmation, a good scaler will keep the contrasting spots on the white coat nice and crisp on the edges.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is lot you can do with VHS but only really worth it if they are home movies that irreplaceable, are they home movies?

Scaling up really isn't something that is going to make a better picture, I like to equate as not making it worse. If you have a good scaler what it will do is keep nice crisp lines instead of blurring them, it doesn't add detail. Think of a picture of dalmation, a good scaler will keep the contrasting spots on the white coat nice and crisp on the edges.
And a good scaler isn't going to be found in a component selling for a few bucks more than the same gear that doesn't have a scaler.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Buy the Magnavox ZV427NG9 as it connects through HDMI. I've used it for about a year and I'm satisfied with it. Go to Biglots if you have one nearby as they sell refurbs for $80. I've used it to copy non-copyprotected VHS tapes and also 8mm from my old video canera through it to the one button copy to DVD. It did an excellent job including making chapter sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics