Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

I was about to compare prices for LED household bulbs. Checked US prices with other countries.
E.g. in England Dimmable E26/E27 cost 17.50 British pounds = $27.30
Dimmable Cool White 6W=60W ES 240V Led Bulb by Ultra Leds U.K
in Germany: the same dimmable bulb cost 18.50 euro = $24.15
http://www.led-saves-energy.de/HGS-DP-E27-E26-B22-03_1 (broken link)
In US Amazon is selling it for $99
Amazon.com: Dimmable E26 A60-M Standard Household Base 50 Watt Incandescent Light Bulb Replacement with a 6 Watt Led, Warm White By Ledwholesalers, 1012ww: Home Improvement
Why this bulb cost in the US almost 4 x more??

What a rip off!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I was about to compare prices for LED household bulbs. Checked US prices with other countries.
E.g. in England Dimmable E26/E27 cost 17.50 British pounds = $27.30
Dimmable Cool White 6W=60W ES 240V Led Bulb by Ultra Leds U.K
in Germany: the same dimmable bulb cost 18.50 euro = $24.15
HGS-DP-E27/E26/B22-03, 18,50 €
In US Amazon is selling it for $99
Amazon.com: Dimmable E26 A60-M Standard Household Base 50 Watt Incandescent Light Bulb Replacement with a 6 Watt Led, Warm White By Ledwholesalers, 1012ww: Home Improvement

What a rip off!!!
Your link to Amazon shows the bulb costing $10.99. Not $99. ???

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Ditto. Full price was $45. Obviously it is costing them more to store them at that price since no one is going to buy them so they dropped the price until they started selling. You have to wonder how much money these jerks think they can make at $45 if they're making a profit at $11.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

What a rip off!!!
They are on sale right now: Sale: $10.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

I just bought comparable bulbs at Home Depot (or Lowes, I forget) a few days ago for a bit less than $10.00.

Prices will be crazy on these items for a while... And comparisons may be difficult. But Amazon.com has treated me well over the years...

Rich

Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You have to wonder how much money these jerks think they can make at $45 if they're making a profit at $11.
The way i see it, they're building a product that is supposed to intentionally reduce how many lamps they sell over the course of many years.

those profits have to be made up somewhere.

no one would intentionally manufacture themselves out of business. if they're going to sell 75% fewer lamps, they have to make 75% more profit (just pulled those numbers out of the air, but you get what i'm saying).

Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,779 times
As a lighting nerd I have to throw in my opinion.

All LED bulbs are not created equal, and by this I mean 1) the color of the light produced by the bulb and 2) the light's angle of dispersion i.e. where that light goes once it leaves the bulb.

I've bought three different LED bulbs in the past year:

Philips BC8A19
- looks like something from a sci-fi movie, a cool something though! I paid a total of $22 for mine at Home Depot.

Philips BC5A19 -I bought mine at Home Depot last year in August for $19+ tax, but it seems to have been discontinued (can't find it on their website anymore), though last month it was still on their shelves IIRC for around $14.

Feit BPA15 - mine is the 15 watt equivalent version but otherwise looks the same.

.....and the Philips BC8A19 is definitely the winner. Its light to me anyway looks 99% identical to a regular incandescent bulb's i.e. nice-n-warm, and its dispersion pattern seems to be the same. So if you didn't tell me a table lamp used this bulb, I would think there was a conventional incandescent bulb in there.

The other Philips isn't too bad, though its light is much whiter, and IMO not suitable for a living room or bedroom. Its dispersion from its "half bulb" lens is decent, though more of its light goes out the top of our lamp w/shade than the BC8's.

The little Feit, which I bought at a local HEB grocery store(!) for $9.00 also produces a very white light, but stops just short of the cold/analytical bluish light many no-name brand LEDs produce. Dispersion is actually pretty good, better than the Philips BC5 but not nearly as good as the yellow-lens BC8.

FYI: except for the Feit, the metal portion of both Philips bulbs - AFAIK which act as heatsinks or cooling systems for their internal electronic circuits - become quite hot after a few minutes of use. Not nearly as hot as an incandescent bulb, but hot enough I cannot keep my finger on them for more than a second. The Feit? It never gets hot, and in fact is only vaguely warm after hours of use.

When I can I want to try out some bulbs from GE and Sylvania; and also, an outside LED floodlight.

I really like the LED concept - extremely long life, energy savings - and especially because they don't use mercury like CFLs do (I no longer buy them). So when I can, I will be replacing most of my incandescents with LEDs.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 06-13-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics