U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,571,390 times

Advertisements

Why are they so cheap compared to LCD or plasma displays?

I checked on Amazon.com, and you can get a 73" DLP TV for $1,400 or a 92" (yes, you read that right) for about $2,800.

Is it because they're not wall-mountable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM

471 posts, read 1,374,763 times
It's probably mostly because they are much more unpopular than LCDs or plasmas, AFAIK due mostly to the fact that they aren't nearly as thin (I didn't even know they were still being sold) and yep, their wall un-mountability.

There's also an issue called IIRC the "screen door effect" that is inherent to DLP technology that bothers a lot of people.

Then there's the cost of the replacement light bulbs for them - scary!

Lastly, and this is pretty much guesswork on my part, DLP technology itself is just generally cheaper to manufacture (it's basically just a large integrated circuit chip with thousands of tiny mirrors & a few lenses) vs. the huge panels of specialized glass + lighting systems and their associated components of an LCD or plasma screen.

Last edited by Lije Baley; 06-13-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM

13,146 posts, read 19,471,683 times
I've got an otherwise perfectly good 56" DLP TV sitting in my garage with a burnt out bulb because it was cheaper to buy a new LCD TV (with better picture quality to boot!) than a new bulb for it. Gotta love living in a throwaway world!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,657,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
It's probably mostly because they are much more unpopular than LCDs or plasmas, AFAIK due mostly to the fact that they aren't nearly as thin (I didn't even know they were still being sold) and yep, their wall un-mountability.

There's also an issue called IIRC the "screen door effect" that is inherent to DLP technology that bothers a lot of people.

Then there's the cost of the replacement light bulbs for them - scary!

Lastly, and this is pretty much guesswork on my part, DLP technology itself is just generally cheaper to manufacture (it's basically just a large integrated circuit chip with thousands of tiny mirrors & a few lenses) vs. the huge panels of specialized glass + lighting systems and their associated components of an LCD or plasma screen.
People want flat panels for most applications. It's that simple. DLP is still great for big rooms and cost effective for budget media rooms as well. Projection (DLP) is always less expensive than comparable point source (flt panel displays) technologies.

BTW-the screen door effect was with LCD projection setups, either front or rear. The quick fix was to take the projector slightly out of focus.

DLP had an effect called the rainbow effect, that about 10% of people can even see. It's due to the color wheel. Later versions, which use colored LEDs rather than a color wheel to provide the picture, don't have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've got an otherwise perfectly good 56" DLP TV sitting in my garage with a burnt out bulb because it was cheaper to buy a new LCD TV (with better picture quality to boot!) than a new bulb for it. Gotta love living in a throwaway world!
A lamp shouldn't be more than a couple $100, for any DLP. IIRC, Mitsubishi said their lamps would all be less than $100 a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics