U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:20 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You could play a 5th generation VHS tape on the TV and it will still be 1920x1080.
The signal is coming from a notebook using VGA output. Its internal is 1024 x 600. Why even bother making an unrelated statement since VHS players stopped at 480??

But....
With the included Super Hybrid utility, Hulu Standard Resolution full screen is smooth and watchable. 480p could be watched not in full screen with very little lag.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-23-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
The signal is coming from a notebook using VGA output. Its internal is 1024 x 600. Why even bother making an unrelated statement since VHS players stopped at 480??

But....
With the included Super Hybrid utility, Hulu Standard Resolution full screen is smooth and watchable. 480p could be watched not in full screen with very little lag.
You said the TV resolution will be 1920 x 1080. That is its native resolution but it that doesn't mean everything shown on it is in 1080P. Neither a 1024 x 600 notebook, a DVD, nor a VHS tape will be shown in true 1080P. Only 1080P content, such as Bluray or the very tiny amount of other 1080P content available, will actually be displayed in 1080P. Everything else can be upconverted or upscaled by the TV, but saying "TV resolution will be 1920x1080" is misleading or at least incomplete.

So my supposedly unrelated statement is perfectly apt.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
regardless of the resolution, the atom chipset has poor video quality.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM

None of this matters as this line of items go off thread. The simple answer to the OPs question is yes it can be done with a $8 cable (there is no need to spend $60-$100 on a roku). The OP already stated he wasn't savvy in technology and it took me less than five minutes to pull up manuals to respond to his question. Do y'all understand TMI? It means Too Much Information.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
regardless of the resolution, the atom chipset has poor video quality.
Which is one of many things that affect video quality, I agree.

Quote:
None of this matters as this line of items go off thread. The simple answer to the OPs question is yes it can be done with a $8 cable (there is no need to spend $60-$100 on a roku). The OP already stated he wasn't savvy in technology and it took me less than five minutes to pull up manuals to respond to his question. Do y'all understand TMI? It means Too Much Information.
It does matter if a comment or suggestion is based on Too Much Incorrect Information.

You've brought up the issue of TMI before, but as I said then, info and suggestions based on incorrect assumptions and incomplete facts do not help. They confuse, and add to the misinformation on the net. I spend a lot of my working time refuting and correcting what people think they know because of what they see online and are told by people who have no business making suggestions. Only after that can I get to the point of trying to earn a living with these prospective clients. So I am sensitive to statements that don't encompass the entire truth.

From a sales point of view-OP said he wants to connect his laptop to his TV. But that's not what he really wants, is it? His goal is to watch internet content on his TV, not to make a hardwired connection from his laptop to his TV. Maybe he doesn't actually want a pair of cables run over his floor. Maybe he would like to surf the net while watching internet content on his TV. He can't do that if the laptop is next to the TV across the room. That would make a device like the Hulu very useful.

There's a tenet in sales called "sell the sizzle, not the steak". People don't want all the boxes of stuff, they want what those boxes provide. In this case a different piece of steak may provide the sizzle that OP really wants, now that he is a little more aware of his options..

Last edited by vmaxnc; 06-24-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
but as I said then, info and suggestions based on incorrect assumptions and incomplete facts do not help. They confuse, and add to the misinformation on the net. I spend a lot of my working time refuting and correcting what people think they know because of what they see online and are told by people who have no business making suggestions. Only after that can I get to the point of trying to earn a living with these prospective clients.
This IS TMI. What you do in your LLC has nothing to do with answering a question.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
This IS TMI. What you do in your LLC has nothing to do with answering a question.
You answer questions. I try to provide solutions. That's what I was explaining. My views on how to answer questions are the same whether I'm working with a client, or just trying to help someone.

We must agree to disagree on how best to respond to posters.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 06-24-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 09:31 AM

8,565 posts, read 9,804,985 times
Default How to watch the internet on TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I want to purchase this TV:

SEIKI LC-32G82 1080p Flat Panel LCD TV: Details & Specs at NexTag

....but I don't have cable yet and I want to make sure I can connect my laptop to this TV so I can watch youtube videos and Hulu on it. I'm sooo not tech-savvy. What spec lets me know whether or not I can do this, and what kind of equipment (cable, etc.) would I need?

I have a wireless internet connection that is provided free of charge to all residents in my building.
This TV sports a refresh rate of 60Hz. If your intention is to watch movies or sports, you'll be happier for a few bucks more with 120Hz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics