U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I bought my TV at best buy. I wasn't pressured into anything (she asked me if we needed a wall mount, since I told her this was our first HDTV, I said no we're putting it on a table and she said great lets get you checked out) and it was the same price as on amazon and newegg.

I also bought our washer and dryer at best buy, scratch and ding sale, saved about $100 off of each one and the original price was the same as everywhere else.

Don't be an idiot and you won't get ripped off, it's about as easy as it gets. (this is concerning where you buy, not what you buy)

As far as what TV to get, panasonic and samsung are also my picks. For that small of a size, you can get a really nice one for cheap cheap.

Plasmas are more rich in color depth than LCD/LED, but take up more power and used to cause burn in (can still happen but you would really really have to try to make it burn). Nowadays, the gap is much closer between pros and cons than it used to be.
I agree with all of this. The only point I'd make is that I think the top tier LED's are rivaling plasma in black levels (and most every other picture concern), once adjusted properly, without any of the (mostly overblown) issues people may associate with plasma. I have two Panasonic plasmas, and I haven't seen a better picture than what's on my 58", but I'd consider an LED if I were shopping now.

I've written numerous times about people today not being able to handle their own business. I've seen it many, many times, from both sides of the counter. For the record I wasn't primarily retail for the last 15 years, but I was around it. In my opinion:

*People are afraid to talk. They don't ask questions, they don't ask for a deal to get closer to internet pricing, and they very often aren't honest about what they want, or what they've seen elsewhere. In sales there is a phrase-"buyers are liars" which although certainly not true for everyone, it's true enough to have had the phrase coined! I've had people lie to my face, as if I knew nothing about any other business or competitor locally. It's silly, really.

*People don't often know how to negotiate, and view it only as a confrontational challenge. Those who think that a store is high priced haven't talked to anyone there about making a deal. Any purchase should be a win-win, meaning everyone comes out happy. It's how business was done for hundreds of years here, and is still done in much of the world. Today, they often see a price on a tag, and run for the door because XYZ down the street or on the net was $4 cheaper. What a waste of their time.

*People don't recognize the value in dealing with an experienced expert in a given field. I just sold an auto part to a guy, and when he came to pick it up we discussed the sound system in his new truck, and I solved a couple problems with it in a couple minutes. He's been to a Big Box store a couple times to straighten out and augment his systems, and they're headed in the wrong direction with it. In further discussion I found that he basically went in and said "I want pdq and jkl" and the employees simply said OK and did what he asked. He fancied himself to be knowledgeable, but the problems he has were simple to address. But he never asked anyone, and no one (but me, who has absolutely no stake in his truck sound system) bothered to to tell him.

The bottom line is that most every situation can be resolved if people just talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
We had gone to Best Buy and nobody nagged us or tried to gently twist our arms. We looked at all the TVs and carefully compared them, taking our time for quite awhile. Once we were done, we asked a few questions and got informative things we didn't know about. We were very happy with our TV. I think it was about a 54" or so, and we love it.

Sorry, but we forgot whether it was an LED or a Plasma, but it was a Samsung. I remember once before, I had a monitor that went out and Samsung took care of us, ASAP.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 AM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
Go plasma! I am and will be buying a Panasonic in the $700 range.

Like hoffdano said, LCDs are usually brighter but to expand on that, that extra brightness is not usually required in a *home* situation i.e. they can be turned up in a store to help overcome the 10,000 watts of overheard lighting they use, causing nearby plasmas to look dim....relatively speaking.

Also, IMO plasmas in general produce more natural/organic colors, and blacks are really BLACK vs. same-price LCD sets, so contrast levels are improved leading to more realistic images.

Lastly, plasmas don't have a problem most LCDs have and that's the jumpiness or "judder" usually seen in fast-moving images. Better LCDs include a system called "motion interpolation" known by various trade names which can eliminate most of this problem but at a cost: many people call it the "soap opera video effect". That's because it causes images, even if the source is film, to take on that strange looking crystalline/glossy effect that video-based cameras produce. But fortunately on the TVs I've played around with, this feature can either be reduced in effectiveness or turned off completely.

Btw many plasmas are now much thinner than they used to be, if that is a consideration.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I love my Panny Plasma. (Panasonic)
I saw the one I wanted at Kmart. I knew there was a small indy dealer down the street who sells only Panasonic and Sony.
Not sure how this dude stays in business, but I knew I wanted to give him mine. He had the same TV Kmart had at the same price. Went to get it on a Saturday and he was closed. Holiday weekend so he was closed til Tuesday.
Went to Best Buy for something else and saw the same TV for $20 MORE.
When I went to the indy on Tuesday and told him I came to buy when he was closed and really wanted to spend my money with him so I waited instead of buying elsewhere. He gave me another $20 off!

********* big box.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
One other difference between LCD/LED and plasma - viewing angle. All plasmas deliver a consistent picture whether you are viewing dead-on or from an angle. I do not believe any LCD/LED can match plasma for viewing angle. The picture quality on most LCD/LED TVs drops off noticeably as you move off center.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One other difference between LCD/LED and plasma - viewing angle. All plasmas deliver a consistent picture whether you are viewing dead-on or from an angle. I do not believe any LCD/LED can match plasma for viewing angle. The picture quality on most LCD/LED TVs drops off noticeably as you move off center.
No., but the better sets are more than adequate for reasonable off angle viewing. As I told clients, if someone was so far off to the side that they didn't get a good picture, they should have showed up on time.

It's interesting that most people here praise, like, and often own plasmas. In many other forums, plasma is trashed for (the aforementioned overblown) numerous reasons.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If you want to stay at the lower end of your budget them go to Walmart.com and order a Sceptre.

Here's a 50" for 499.99 with free shipping:

Walmart.com: Sceptre 50" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, X505BV-FHD: TV & Video
For a few bucks more I would go with the 720p Panasonic 50" plasma that is just above that Sceptre. There would be no comparison in picture quality or likely longevity.

Besides, OP is looking for a 40" to 42", and resolution is even less of an issue.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 4,639,102 times
Costco gives you a free two year warranty on electronics like TVs (one year on top of the manufacturer warranty). That said, I bought two of my sets from Amazon's Warehouse Deals site(open box) with great success. I will always buy where the price is cheapest without haggling...this rules Best Buy out every time.

I prefer Vizio for the bang for the buck factor. I have two 55" LED backlit Vizios and three 47" LED Vizios ranging from 1-6 years old. None have had issues.

I appreciate the blacker blacks from plasma sets, but the LED backlit sets look just as good to me. As previously mentioned I always turn off the smooth cinema feature on all sets to eliminate the soap opera effect.

When it comes to wall mounts for televisions, I have never found a better deal than at monoprice.com. Measure your wall studs before you order, if the wall isn't structural it may not have 18" spaced studs and you will need to buy the wider wall mount to accommodate wider spaced studs.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,183,751 times
I used to hate Best Buy until the hooked me up with a real sweet deal on an xbox and kinect.

That being said, it may be worth a membership fee at Costco or Sams Club. Very good deals.

Sad thing about TVs is that 6 years ago, I paid 1200 for a 42 inch LCD. Last year I paid 700 for a 46 inch 3D/LED.
Now I see similar models going for less than $500.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM

4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times
My experience at Best Buy today...no one even bothered me as I took pictures of the models I thought I was interested in...I literally had to bend over & show cleavage to get a salesman...rotflmao

Ok so here were the models I was looking at:

40" Toshiba 40L5200U @ $599
42" LG 42CS570 @ $579
40" Samsung UN40EH6000 @ $699
all the above are not "smart" no wifi

40" Sony KDL40EX640 @ $899
42" Panasonic TC-L42et5 @ $899 w/built in wi-fi

40" Samsung UN4006300SFXZA @899 wi-fi ready

46" Sony KDL46NX720 @949 (open item) reg 1109 wi-fi, gorilla glass...

the salesman wrote down all the cables: i.e. insignia @ $39

He did try to close me but I told him I'd be back to make the purchase with my friend..Said he didn't get commision but wrote it all down with his name/sales quota move...

I decided it was time to make some easier purchase decisions and went to Total Wine for a bottle of Crown Royal & ice.

I did read some reviews on Amazon...the Panasonic wasn't all that well liked nor the Sony.

do I really need internet on my tv? I have an Imac all in one 21"
I'm not sure if I want to sit in bed doing my facebook on the big screen...

We have awesome fios w/movie channels....My big thing is just watching my movies after a long day at work. No real need for games...

I am so confused, maybe it's easier to just go get new tires for my 4Runner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics