U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times

Advertisements

I was surprised that any Panasonic TV didn't review well, so I checked. The Panasonic averaged 4 out of 5 stars on average on Amazon. How is that not well liked?

Also, you need to read between the lines in a review. One I skimmed complained about the sound quality. Well, flat panel TVs seldom sound as good as any other type of TV, so that's not really a reason to not like a particular flat panel TV.

Keep in mind that when you step down because you don't feel you need a certain feature, you may well be losing other features or enhancements that you would benefit from. As an analogy, maybe you don't need a sunroof of a new car. But stepping down to the model that doesn't have a sunroof means you only get a 4 cylinder engine, and manual windows and locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,248 times
Speaking of sound: most movie directors take care to make sure the soundtrack - whether it's a rambunctious action flick or a story with a contemplative vibe - is of good to high quality. And pretty much all flatscreens I've heard, IMO because "thin-ness" is such a selling feature, can only be equipped with tiny speakers & sound barely acceptable-to-awful, many making dialog just barely understandable.

So if you can swing it (isn't it fun spending someone else's money? ), to remedy this situation I would look at buying at minimum a soundbar, something costing at least around a $100. The next step up would be a stereo component system i.e. a receiver + a pair of speakers, or a shelf system. A five speaker + subwoofer surround sound system is fun (I've owned one now for 16+ years), but to me they are really just the "cherry" on top of the movie sound cake.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Speaking of sound: most movie directors take care to make sure the soundtrack - whether it's a rambunctious action flick or a story with a contemplative vibe - is of good to high quality. And pretty much all flatscreens I've heard, IMO because "thin-ness" is such a selling feature, can only be equipped with tiny speakers & sound barely acceptable-to-awful, many making dialog just barely understandable.

So if you can swing it (isn't it fun spending someone else's money? ), to remedy this situation I would look at buying at minimum a soundbar, something costing at least around a $100. The next step up would be a stereo component system i.e. a receiver + a pair of speakers, or a shelf system. A five speaker + subwoofer surround sound system is fun (I've owned one now for 16+ years), but to me they are really just the "cherry" on top of the movie sound cake.
To further your point about soundtracks, consider that many feel a soundtrack is more important to the enjoyment of a movie than the video is. I agree. To test this, watch a few minutes of a movie during an emotional or action scene, with the sound off. "Measure" how that makes you feel. The play the same scenes without the video, or by closing your eyes, but with the volume at a normal viewing level. Compare your feeling after that to the feeling you had with just video. Report back with your results.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
No one should over-value the reviews on Amazon. I read them, but many are simply garbage. Some reviews say one star because of a shipping problem. Or it wasn't the same color as the picture on the website. The reviews aren't worthless, but I value professional reviews more when dealing with consumer electronics.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 AM

4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times
Leaning toward the 40" Samsung

Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM

83 posts, read 104,464 times
I am also looking for 42" and leaning toward LG 42LM6200.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Leaning toward the 40" Samsung
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaanand View Post
I am also looking for 42" and leaning toward LG 42LM6200.
Why?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM

4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why?
One of my best friends has the 40" samsung, seeing it in a home setting is totally different than what's in the store with the confusion of all the tvs. I'm not going to get involved with all the internet/apps/add on's...I just want to be able to plug into my computer if necessary & connect with my Fios.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Evaluating a TV's picture in a store is difficult. TVs almost never produce a natural picture with "out of the box" settings. They are usually too bright, with too much contrast, and of course stores often feed their TVs with a signal that changes too fast - so you can't really tell if there is too much red in faces or not.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
One of my best friends has the 40" samsung, seeing it in a home setting is totally different than what's in the store with the confusion of all the tvs. I'm not going to get involved with all the internet/apps/add on's...I just want to be able to plug into my computer if necessary & connect with my Fios.
Good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics