U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I had this thought while speaking with a client yesterday. I'm dragging him, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century with regards to TVs and listening to the radio. Since he bought his first HDTV earlier this year, he has called several times complaining about the TV, based on how his VHS tapes look. He cannot understand that it's not the TV or anything else but the tapes that are causing the poor picture quality. His comments range from "the tapes looked fine on my old TVs" to "HDTVs should make everything look good", although I've explained the issue, given him analogies, given him a resolution chart, etc. He's old school, and doesn't want to hear about new tech.

Monday we're going to discuss getting his FM radio stations from the internet to solve the issue of poor FM reception in his basement. That should be a fun conversation.
Maybe you can ask your friend to take a photo of a 3x5 snapshot, then view it on a normal sized monitor or a good print. I bet he won't like how it looks. Kinda the same thing with 1920x1080 on a 240 lines VHS signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Maybe you can ask your friend to take a photo of a 3x5 snapshot, then view it on a normal sized monitor or a good print. I bet he won't like how it looks. Kinda the same thing with 1920x1080 on a 240 lines VHS signal.
Good suggestion, but far too much work for me. Oh, yeah, him too. He gets the deer in the headlights look any time tech comes up. Generally he doesn't want to know much. On this he is just stubborn. I just smile, do the best I can with what he has or steer him on what to buy, and collect the checks.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM

22,561 posts, read 27,971,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree completely. Who watches VHS now?
I do quite a bit. Because I have several hundred videotapes of which I recorded various things over the last 25+ years.

It would cost too much (and take a long time) to convert all of them to DVD.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe. Or different resolution. Or it's a loss leader in its size. Or, or, or.

Once the aspect ratio was adjusted so that the video tape was viewable in the correct format, you'd see how terribly awful VHS really is.
An update. I did decide on a Samsung 40" TV.

It was delivered today, bought on Amazon.com. I opted for the 2-day shipping. I think I made the right selection regarding brand and size. Fits just right in the room.

Easy to set it up and connect everything.

I did try playing one of my VHS videotapes. Picture with that is better than expected. Very acceptable.
Cable stations have a very good picture (after a few adjustments). I will probably eventually get a HDMI cable.

Here are "before and after" photos showing my former (Daewoo 27") TV and the Samsung 40" TV I now have...

Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
An update. I did decide on a Samsung 40" TV.

It was delivered today, bought on Amazon.com. I opted for the 2-day shipping. I think I made the right selection regarding brand and size. Fits just right in the room.

Easy to set it up and connect everything.

I did try playing one of my VHS videotapes. Picture with that is better than expected. Very acceptable.
Cable stations have a very good picture (after a few adjustments). I will probably eventually get a HDMI cable.

Here are "before and after" photos showing my former (Daewoo 27") TV and the Samsung 40" TV I now have...

What would you need an HDMI cable for if you've already connected everything? How are the VCR and DVD connected to the TV? Do you have HD cable service?

Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
What would you need an HDMI cable for if you've already connected everything? How are the VCR and DVD connected to the TV? Do you have HD cable service?
After making adjustments, I realize I probably don't need HDMI cable.

I have Time Warner Cable. The cable goes into the VCR and a coaxial cable goes to the TV. The DVD player connections go into the TV, too.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
After making adjustments, I realize I probably don't need HDMI cable.

I have Time Warner Cable. The cable goes into the VCR and a coaxial cable goes to the TV. The DVD player connections go into the TV, too.
Adjustments have absolutely nothing to do with needing an HDMI cable. Does TWC send HD without a box? It doesn't in most areas, so you're probably not watching HDTV. Connecting the VCR to the TV via coax is the worst possible connection that can be made, even to just watch your tapes.

What a mess. Ugh.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Adjustments have absolutely nothing to do with needing an HDMI cable. Does TWC send HD without a box? It doesn't in most areas, so you're probably not watching HDTV. Connecting the VCR to the TV via coax is the worst possible connection that can be made, even to just watch your tapes.

What a mess. Ugh.
Yes, I realize TV adjustments and HDMI cable are not the same thing. I was pointing out that the picture did improve after I changed the settings.

I will probably get a HDMI cable eventually.

The picture is fine when using the DVD player. Here is a sample...

And the picture with the VCR, even in the "slow" (SLP) mode is acceptable. Sample below...

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, I realize TV adjustments and HDMI cable are not the same thing. I was pointing out that the picture did improve after I changed the settings.

I will probably get a HDMI cable eventually.

The picture is fine when using the DVD player. Here is a sample...

And the picture with the VCR, even in the "slow" (SLP) mode is acceptable. Sample below...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics