Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:01 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times

Advertisements

I have 2 Panasonic LCD tvs. A 32" 720pm and a 37" 1080p. I had problems with the power supply on the 32" until I downloaded and installed a firmware update via a memory card. All's fine since then. Wanted to get a larger Panasonic LCD but at the time, 37" was all I could find. When I buy a larger tv, it will be a Panasonic.

Not sure what other electronics you'll be using with your new tv, but have you considered theHCDP handshake and the possible issues a new tv might cause? I would want to make sure there are no issues with your new tv and your existing equipment BEFORE you plunk down the money and haul the tv home. Do you have a DVR, gaming system, Roku box, etc.?

I've bought 5+ HDMI cables from this place for under $10 each. If you don't already have the cables you might need, buy them online instead.

Also, if you're a person who buys extended warranties, make sure you find out in advance, where those repairs will be made. I found out after buying a warrany on one of my tvs that I 'd have to ship the tv to Cali for repairs. So I'd be without the tv for weeks. The larger size screens tend to come with in-home warranty service.

Happy purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,376 times
Amazon for all your cabling needs imo.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
WSpeaking oif Amazon, I know that for a while they had a policy that if you purchased a 42" or larger TV from them, that they would ship it to you for free, and set it up for you, which also includes hooking up everything (Computer/X-Box, etc.) to it at no charge.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
We used our own eyes to compare TVs and we both decided on the same TV. We had something like a 54 incher --forgot exactly what the size was.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 AM

640 posts, read 717,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Def interested in whether to go plasma or LCD. Which would last longer? We have FIOS for our cable provider/internet & all the movie channels.
For someone who simply watches movies/television I'm going to buck the trend of popular sentiment and recommend plasma. The problems associated with first generation plasmas have largely been resolved and the performance on both HD and less than optimal sources will be excellent. Best of all, because of the public clamor for thin, thinner, thinnest plasma prices are at an all time low.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,414,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Best Buy is a terrible store. Good to go looking, but not to buy. You will have to withstand the high pressure extended warranty and $50 HDMI cable sale.

The best picture for the money is probably a plasma from Panasonic or Samsung. They are not as bright as the "LED" TVs but they produce a more natural picture with blacker blacks.

In Panasonic TVs the quality sequence is VT>GT>ST

In Samsung 8000 series > 7000 series > everything else. Current top of the line models are E8000. Last year's top was D8000 and if still available are superb.
Im in the market to buy a new 40'' tv. Getting rid of my old set that is deeper than it is wide. So an HD TV does not come with a HD cable. Are tv's like dryers now you have to purchase a cable or wire seperately.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Im in the market to buy a new 40'' tv...an HD TV does not come with a HD cable...purchase a cable...separately.
You will need to buy an HDMI cable.
The prices range from $2 to $2200
$2200 - Amazon.com: AudioQuest Coffee 12m (39.4 feet) Braided HDMI Cable: Electronics

Everyone agrees that they are all the same.
So, buy this one (or similar)
http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-.../dp/B0002L5R78

Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Im in the market to buy a new 40'' tv. Getting rid of my old set that is deeper than it is wide. So an HD TV does not come with a HD cable. Are tv's like dryers now you have to purchase a cable or wire seperately.
TVs never came with any kind of connection cables. What cables you need will depend on what components you are connecting to it, and what connections they have. There is no such thing as an HD cable, BTW. Looking for an HD cable will not necessarily get you what you want.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
The type of cable you need depends on how your TV will obtain its signal. Do you have an HD cable box? If so - you will probably need an HDMI cable. Do you have a DVD player? If it was made in the last few years it will probably need a HDMI cable too. If it is older, it may need "component" cables.

I agree with the above on HDMI. No need to spend much on them.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,414,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The type of cable you need depends on how your TV will obtain its signal. Do you have an HD cable box? If so - you will probably need an HDMI cable. Do you have a DVD player? If it was made in the last few years it will probably need a HDMI cable too. If it is older, it may need "component" cables.

I agree with the above on HDMI. No need to spend much on them.
Cable box has HDMI port on the back. DVD player is 4 years old. Just has regular coaxial ports. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics