U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM

4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a new 40-42" flat screen. My budget is between $500-$800.

My 10 year old 42" Hitatchi Ultravision bit the dust yesterday. I need suggestions! My experience has been in the past has only been with the large screen Hitatchi (60") & Toshiba (50") rear projector dinosaurs. The one that just bit the dust was the same...I know prices have dropped immensely since I've had to make a tv purchase...I need all the help I can get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Go to Best Buy. They give decent advice and saves a lot of brain damage shopping. Plus you can return it easily.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
If you want to stay at the lower end of your budget them go to Walmart.com and order a Sceptre.

Here's a 50" for 499.99 with free shipping:

Walmart.com: Sceptre 50" Class LCD 1080p 60Hz HDTV, X505BV-FHD: TV & Video

Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Also FYI: I am a big movie watcher, that's about all I do with my tv...no gaming, have my 21" Imac flat screen for my internet...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Go to Best Buy. They give decent advice and saves a lot of brain damage shopping. Plus you can return it easily.
Best Buy is a terrible store. Good to go looking, but not to buy. You will have to withstand the high pressure extended warranty and $50 HDMI cable sale.

The best picture for the money is probably a plasma from Panasonic or Samsung. They are not as bright as the "LED" TVs but they produce a more natural picture with blacker blacks.

In Panasonic TVs the quality sequence is VT>GT>ST

In Samsung 8000 series > 7000 series > everything else. Current top of the line models are E8000. Last year's top was D8000 and if still available are superb.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Best Buy is a terrible store. Good to go looking, but not to buy. You will have to withstand the high pressure extended warranty and $50 HDMI cable sale.
I've never been pressured to buy anything at Best Buy. Perhaps the store manager down there is the problem. Anyhow, I thought Texans prided themselves on not being easily intimidated.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

The best picture for the money is probably a plasma from Panasonic or Samsung. They are not as bright as the "LED" TVs but they produce a more natural picture with blacker blacks.

In Panasonic TVs the quality sequence is VT>GT>ST

In Samsung 8000 series > 7000 series > everything else. Current top of the line models are E8000. Last year's top was D8000 and if still available are superb.
Rotflmao...I can deal with the high pressure because I know I can walk away; I've hear about the $50 HDMI trick...already prepared for that one, too!

Def interested in whether to go plasma or LCD. Which would last longer? We have FIOS for our cable provider/internet & all the movie channels.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
I bought my TV at best buy. I wasn't pressured into anything (she asked me if we needed a wall mount, since I told her this was our first HDTV, I said no we're putting it on a table and she said great lets get you checked out) and it was the same price as on amazon and newegg.

I also bought our washer and dryer at best buy, scratch and ding sale, saved about $100 off of each one and the original price was the same as everywhere else.

Don't be an idiot and you won't get ripped off, it's about as easy as it gets. (this is concerning where you buy, not what you buy)

As far as what TV to get, panasonic and samsung are also my picks. For that small of a size, you can get a really nice one for cheap cheap.

Plasmas are more rich in color depth than LCD/LED, but take up more power and used to cause burn in (can still happen but you would really really have to try to make it burn). Nowadays, the gap is much closer between pros and cons than it used to be.

Last edited by kazyn; 06-28-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
I've never been pressured to buy anything at Best Buy. Perhaps the store manager down there is the problem. Anyhow, I thought Texans prided themselves on not being easily intimidated.
Every checkout at every Best Buy is painful. And their sales people are often not well informed. So I'll look there, but almost never buy. And surely you know they have the most ridiculous prices for small ticket items (like cables).

I have no difficulty saying no. Amazon never gives me grief.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Rotflmao...I can deal with the high pressure because I know I can walk away; I've hear about the $50 HDMI trick...already prepared for that one, too!

Def interested in whether to go plasma or LCD. Which would last longer? We have FIOS for our cable provider/internet & all the movie channels.
I don't think there is any credible data that says which technology will last longer. Older plasmas were a bit power hungry but today's units might use $25 more electricity per year than an LCD. Note that LED TVs are LCD TVs.

Plasmas today also are much less immune to the burn in problems of older units. Not 100% immune, but nearly so. Don't turn off the panel's protection features and don't leave it on a display with a fixed image area (like a stock ticker).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics