Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

I am NOT the TV expert in our home...hubby is! Having said that, he purchased a 50 inch Sony TV about 7 years ago. Lately, there seems to be a few yellow lines running through the TV. I hardly see it but since hubby points it out FREQUENTLY, I do know it is there.

Hubby found out that there was a class action law suit against Sony for this particular TV. Although the lawsuit has ended, hubby called Sony today and they immediately gave him a case number and an offer of two particular TVs for about half price. They also told him that he has a week for this offer and then it expires.

According to him, they were very automatic in doing this so it seems that this issue with their TVs is continuing.

Hubby is on his way to Best Buy to look at the TVs that were offered to him. He is one happy guy!

For the record, we've always had Sony products and never had any problems with them. It seems to me that Sony's customer service is alright!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM

46 posts, read 133,634 times
Default Re: Sony LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I am NOT the TV expert in our home...hubby is! Having said that, he purchased a 50 inch Sony TV about 7 years ago. Lately, there seems to be a few yellow lines running through the TV. I hardly see it but since hubby points it out FREQUENTLY, I do know it is there.

Hubby found out that there was a class action law suit against Sony for this particular TV. Although the lawsuit has ended, hubby called Sony today and they immediately gave him a case number and an offer of two particular TVs for about half price. They also told him that he has a week for this offer and then it expires.

According to him, they were very automatic in doing this so it seems that this issue with their TVs is continuing.

Hubby is on his way to Best Buy to look at the TVs that were offered to him. He is one happy guy!

For the record, we've always had Sony products and never had any problems with them. It seems to me that Sony's customer service is alright!!!

Vicki
Vicki good info ... also please note Sony's offer is very much automated I didn't find it tempting for 2 reasons for the price they offer you can can find similar deal on-line second with such a bad taste with their current TV i don't want to put more money in drain - I would have considered Sony helpful if they would have offered me some help in fixing this TV or if they would have shown some interest in learning/improving their TV from current issue - may be in your case since their was a lawsuit they might have sweetened the deal a bit but good your hubby is comparing and do check prices online.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Im perfectly content with my 11 yr old 32" sanyo tv & my 23 y/o rca 25" console tv. Both stereo tvs have great pictures & sound. The local thrift store has a few 32-36" tvs for $50.00 & the pictures are great. The worse tvs i ever had was a admiral & symphonic (total trash).

Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
hello iam new on this site.my name is keith i bought a 52 inch sony lcd tv in 2007 and had nothing but problems .sony fixed a pixelation problem by replacing the guts of the tv and a couple years later now i have trailing on left side its darker.my tv is a kdl-52w3000 does anyone know if there is a class action on sony for this tv or concern?i paid over 2000 at the time and its been nothing but issues.iam now looking at new tv either lg or samsung 55inch and learned never to buy sony again

Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
I purchased my Toshiba 32 " LCD back in 2008, and the TV has been perfect so far. It's hard to believe that I have had the thing for 5 years now! I moved it into our bedroom when my brother-in-law gave us their old Sony 55" Wega rear projection LCD TV. We needed a bigger TV for the living room, but it was going to be awhile before we could afford it. The 55" Sony does have a couple of issues, but it is 9 years old. There is a blue "blob" of light in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, and on black screens, you can see a bunch of blue pixels. There is also a slight yellowish tint on the left side, but you can only really see it on white screens. Other than that, the picture is still decent. The blue blob is the only constant annoyance of the screen, but for free, you can't complain!

Once that TV dies, we do want to purchase another TV. I tend to be partial to Samsung, but I'd probably be happy with a Vizio as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:30 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger004 View Post
Or buy a less expensive TV so that u r not hurt when replacing the TV
This kind of advice works for a lot of things. Buy a cheap car so you are not upset when it is scratched. Buy a cheap stereo and replace it every 4 or 5 years. Wear costume jewelry so if you are ripped off it isn't painful. Don't spend a lot of money on a watch.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I remember a old Television repair man once said with new electronics to turn them on and let them run for 24+ hours. if they fail they are likely to in that period otherwise its a crap shoot like many things .

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 847 times
Sony is not concerned about their reputation anymore, I bought a 70" KDL-70r550A where the screen panel failed. I've been on every community board so I can show Sony deals with its customers. I had Sony products my whole adult life and never had a problem. However, if you look at Sony's community customer relation board, you will find hundreds of people with same problem
I bought mine on 08.29.2014 it just failed 03.15.2016 not even two years. two thousand dollars of junk sitting on my wall, not repairable.

KDL70mad

Old 03-21-2016, 07:27 AM

46 posts, read 133,634 times
that's what I too realized with Sony few years back when my TV failed don't buy them anymore their customer service don't care for premature product failures no point paying a premium

Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger004 View Post
I was quite disappointed after my expensive Sony LCD failed in 3 yrs - tried to reach out to Sony to see if they can help share some repair cost or any other help - not much luck so wanted to share my experience with the city-data community

After a lot of research found that LCD failure is very common and now the average life of these expensive LCD-TV sets is around 2_5 yrs so one should plan accordingly when making this investment - 2 options to consider
1. Either buy an extended warranty till 5 yrs if u buy/pay for a "Premium" brand
2. Or buy a less expensive TV so that u r not hurt when replacing the TV

Biggest let-down is that we pay premium for Sony products to have a decent pdt life and Sony might be aware that the new TV sets are breaking more often than generally so they should be willing to help out customers with early component failures as this way Sony can learn to make better products and keep loyal customers but I guess it good for them as they can sell more sets often.

Please share your experience/reliability with other TV brands as I have to look for a new TV now :-)
I have literally never owned ANY SONY product that was not expensive and did not fail within two years of purchase - usually just AFTER the warranty expires. Laptop, DVD Player, MD Player, Speakers, and VHS Recorder. It has all been inferior and I won't even think about buying the brand again. I have no idea why they have such a good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics