U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

I understand the techy bits. I get the quality is theoretically better. I am talking about using the original testing equipment.
Your eyes.
DVD 's look SO good on my TV. If it sucks, then I am buying nothing but sucky TV's from now on.
My TV was named a Consumer Reports Best Buy the month after I bought it. Like CR or not, it certainly can't be too bad if it was a recommmend by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I was staying out of this because I always get flack for this opinion.

You will hardly notice the difference.
Pretty much how it is. We own the DVD/BD set of the movie Avatiar. Here the BD version really pops on our 55 inch LCD/LED 240 Hz Vizio, over the DVD copy.

However remember that this movie is almost all CGI and not "filmed". I suspect that makes a big difference. And the DVD version is still very watchable.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm talking about recent stuff, from the last 30 years, not oldies. A good example is Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance. Yes, I'm a rocker/metalhead from way back. I like every song on that album, and have bought several editions in the search for improved sound quality. All of them sound like the microphones were around the corner from the musicians, with sweaters over the mikes. I wish I could find a recording that sounds great, but I haven't yet.
It's all about making it loud as if there wasn't a volume control....... Try finding a CD in the used CD place.

Why I Don't Buy "Remastered" CDs. - YouTube

Iron Maiden - wasted years. CD vs LP - YouTube

Metallica Death Magnetic - How to lose the Loudness War - YouTube

Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Pretty much how it is. We own the DVD/BD set of the movie Avatiar. Here the BD version really pops on our 55 inch LCD/LED 240 Hz Vizio, over the DVD copy.
Well mine is only a 42". That must be it.

But man I am telling you DVD's look GORGEOUS on my TV. I don't see pixels. I don't see any .... noise. Nothing. Just. Gorgeous. Picture.
BR does too but I just don't see a, to use the term someone else used, "staggering" difference.

Yea, I saw a staggering difference in HD vs. SD... that today my parents still cannot see... (switch between the SD and HD versions of a channel and they just cannot seem to notice the clarity... or they just don't want to buy an HD TV).
So... maybe that's it? lol
But my wife is 6 years younger then me.. and she didn't see much difference either.
We were both disappointed when we watched that first BluRay...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well mine is only a 42". That must be it.

The smaller the TV is and the farther you sit back the less of difference you'll see.

Quote:
But man I am telling you DVD's look GORGEOUS on my TV. I don't see pixels. I don't see any .... noise. Nothing. Just. Gorgeous. Picture.
A lot of the players do a very good job of upconverting them, you're not adding any detail but you're optimizing what is there for display on a larger sized TV. The fundamental issue with any scaling up is edges of contrasting color. Typically when you're going to scale something up the older methods and lest processing required typically employed doubling or tripling lines which produces a stair stepping effect along edges or bicubic resizing which eliminates the stair stepping effect but introduces a softness to the images on edges and smooths out fine details.

With the increase in computing power they can do on the fly conversions that examines the frame for these edges and preserves them. You can research genuine fractals which is similar technology fro images.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,727,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasguy82 View Post
I have a 46 inch Toshiba flat screen and am looking for the best quality picture possible for while watching movies. Currently, I have an average dvd player.

Would a Blue Ray Player be a huge upgrade? Would I notice a difference in the picture quality?
Most Blu-Ray players actually upscale your DVDs as well, so you could actually see a difference in your picture quality. If you're concerned with the best picture and sound, then by far, a Blu-Ray player is the way to go. Most of them allow you to stream Netflix and some music services as well. Totally worth it IMO.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 AM

3,820 posts, read 5,982,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Most Blu-Ray players actually upscale your DVDs as well, so you could actually see a difference in your picture quality. ................
It's a common misconception that you need a player that upscales DVDs. The TV will automatically scale every input to its native resolution so you don't really need the player to do it.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It's a common misconception that you need a player that upscales DVDs. The TV will automatically scale every input to its native resolution so you don't really need the player to do it.
But the difference is the technology behind how it's being scaled up. I posted previously in this thread, a good scaler is going to keep nice clean edges on contrasting colors and preserve detail.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But the difference is the technology behind how it's being scaled up. I posted previously in this thread, a good scaler is going to keep nice clean edges on contrasting colors and preserve detail.
Very true. Pro scalers can be hundreds to even thousands of dollars, so what can be expected from a BD or DVD player that sells for under $129?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Very true. Pro scalers can be hundreds to even thousands of dollars, so what can be expected from a BD or DVD player that sells for under $129?
It's not something I've really researched for specific models. I'm a long term member of videohlep.com, I was there for the analog conversion/restoration information. I know when they first came on the market with the DVD ones there was a lot of discussion there about the various models that were coming on the market. I've seen saw some side by side samples and the opinions of others posted there and they varied widely. You're mileage is going to vary so you'd have to research for the best bang for your buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics