U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,601,930 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, as topics about Comcast are all over the CD forum. In my area in Michigan, Comcast recently instituted a mandatory "digital" upgrade for all cable subscribers, at every level. This meant that everyone had to obtain a digital "device" and attach it to their TVs. Supposedly it was an upgrade.....hahahaha. I went through this process and now the resulting picture is not as good as it was before on the HD channels, and I'm wondering if this new "device" attached to all TV sets allows Comcast to track which channels are watched and for how long. This would give them a massive database, not unlike browsers tracking websites visited. Maybe they had that ability before this so-called upgrade to digital, but now that they forced everyone to add this device or be without any Comcast cable service, I'm wondering what other ability they now have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM

2,544 posts, read 5,176,026 times
I have Comcast, and they are still broadcasting the HD channels over the coax without the digital converter. However, any of the non-HD channels are gone; like Discovery.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

11,047 posts, read 9,218,066 times
I have Comcast and nothing comes through the cable to the TV without it. It is supposed to be only connected to TV's that do not have a cable box. It is used to count the TVs in your home so they know who is draining signal in an area. Its not an upgrade as its supposed to give you the basic OTA channels for your area. In reality its a downgrade. Since we had to install them about two years ago and we went from 60 channels w/o a cable box to 10 with this adapter.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,510,755 times
You would need a "digital adapter" in cases where you have an older TV, I don't have Comcast but my guess would be they will stop transmitting analog signals, so unless you have a newer TV you will not have TV without an adapter.

Comcast Help & Support | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Setup, Installation, & Troubleshooting

You can have digital without it being HD, but HD is always digital.

If you have an HD TV you wouldn't want one of their "adapters" you want a HD Cable box. TW doesn't charge extra for this.

They are making this WAY too complicated for people.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 07-05-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You would need a "digital adapter" in cases where you have an older TV,
Comcast went another level by encrypting the channels, thus needing a converter box to see anything even on a HDTV.
So now they have a DTA to convert analog SD TVs to be used on the HD line and a DCB (Digital Converter box) to be able to see those channels and then from there you get a few pawltry channels or you can order a HD Cable box in order to get the basic stuff that was free before this all started. The DTA and the DCB are free for now.

http://techtips.salon.com/comcast-cable-box-vs-adapter-box-20692.html

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM

23,265 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You would need a "digital adapter" in cases where you have an older TV,
All their boxes have RCA outputs so technically you could watch every channel on SD TV you can on HDTV with any box. It won't be in HD but you can view them.

Quote:
I don't have Comcast but my guess would be they will stop transmitting analog signals, so unless you have a newer TV you will not have TV without an adapter.
That's exactly why, the digital adapters are just a cheap piece of crap. Most people are going to have many TV's hooked to cable without a box and since every TV will now require a box these are cheap alternatives. Comcast provides two for free, at least that was the policy about a 1 year ago. They have very limited options and I believe the number of channels only went up to 120 or so.

Quote:
They are making this WAY too complicated for people.
They want to free up the bandwidth for a LOT more digital programming and expand their HD offerings. By switching to all digital transmissions they can do that. The only way these old TV's will work is with some form of digital ready device.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Comcast went another level by encrypting the channels, thus needing a converter box to see anything even on a HDTV.
So now they have a DTA to convert analog SD TVs to be used on the HD line and a DCB (Digital Converter box) to be able to see those channels and then from there you get a few pawltry channels or you can order a HD Cable box in order to get the basic stuff that was free before this all started. The DTA and the DCB are free for now.

http://techtips.salon.com/comcast-cable-box-vs-adapter-box-20692.html

Looks like they like to drive customers away.

The thing I read about the "converters" is they kill the point of having a HD TV in the first place, unless you want to pay extra for HD set top. Time Warner doesn't charge "extra" for HD boxes(all set top boxes are the same price).

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Looks like they like to drive customers away.
Actually once the promotion prices drop off, the competitors are no longer competing with each other. I compared Comcast to Fios after w/o promotions and they were nearly the same total price.
Quote:
....kill the point of having a HD TV....
Not really. I purchased a 32" HDTV for $149 and a Bluray player for $39 over the weekend. So their prices have dropped dramatically thus its starting to make more sense to dump SDTVs. So with technology prices dropping and them trying to get customers with bundles they are trying to entice customers into getting the better service by offering low rates for up to 2 years. Once the 2 years are up, then they stick em but good.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 AM

Their adapter: "The digital adapter supports a screen aspect ratio of 4:3; your picture will not fill the screen of a widescreen television. You cannot adjust the aspect ratio on the digital adapter". Making your Bluray no better than an old VHS player.

Nothing like watching a TV where the picture is a tiny box in the middle of the screen.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Making your Bluray no better than an old VHS player.

Nothing like watching a TV where the picture is a tiny box in the middle of the screen.
FYI - You do know that Bluray players connect to TVs via an HDMI cable and have absolutly nothing to do with who your cable company is nor their adapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics