U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM

264 posts, read 386,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've got plenty that are that old and probably older. The technology was a lot more robust than it was given credit for. OTOH, I REGULARLY get DVDs from Netflix and Facets that are unplayable. Never trust advertising hype.

Robust indeed. Not entirely surprised, since I still have a bunch of cassettes from the same era, and still sound grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Rockycity! I'll bet you can cut down that $200 price down a very substantial amount by checking out the thrift stores in your area (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.) I have a few hundred VHS tapes that I still play every once in a while. Lots of westerns, scifi (Star Trek, Star wars), etc. And also 100 plus football games that go back a few decades. I keep them for reference and at times they come in handy as I moderate the football forums on City Data.

About 6 months ago I finally broke my Magnavox combo VHS/DVD player out of the box and hooked it up after the old one bit the dust(which lasted 9 years) It wasn't the VHS problem at all, it was that the dvd wouldn't play once out of every half dozen plays. Then finally it wouldn't eject at all, but VHS tapes would play.
I kept a lot of the great NFL playoff games and Super Bowl. Should be interesting to watch those games in their entirety again.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Right! "Full retail prices" for new is less then $100. You can still get some that play DVD's and VHS for around $80.
Craigslist? Pfft. $20.

As for shelf life?
30-40 years easy.

Amazing..I'm sold.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
a few years back I converted my collection of a couple hundred VHS tapes to DVDs, many of which I'm sure were at least 20 years old. Most of them were recorded as SLP (4 hrs) and are certainly still watchable on DVD but of course not DVD quality.
The big issue there is as tapes age and are used they stretch. You also have mechanical slop in the machines, different mechanical slop in different machines. There is less tolerances for error with the slower recordings so they are more prone to fail.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM

10,956 posts, read 15,245,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
Amazing..I'm sold.
What is your city?

Since VCR's are basically not used by most people any more, you can easily find a $10 one on Craigslist.
Maybe $15 if you are forced.
Then try all your tapes. The ones that play fine, maybe keep them.

Think about moving your VHS tapes over the DVD.
The tapes are bulky and they can break after years exposure.
I lived in a hot mobile home for 20 years and my VHS tapes play fine.
The only tapes that did go bad, were reel to reel tapes. The tape is so thin, they go bad after 20 years or more.
You can also pick up a good used VCR at a yard sale or flea market.
I used to pay over $200 for a new Mitsubishi and they always went bad.
VCR's today are like CRT computer monitors, they are giving them away on Craigslist, give away prices.
Find a free cycle in your city and just go on there and ask for a VCR. You'll get one free.
The Freecycle Network

Your basic purpose is to watch your tapes to make sure they are good.
Right? So, a free or $10 VCR is all you need.

It will cost you some dollars to put your tapes on DVD.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM

690 posts, read 537,336 times
If the tapes are well stored they can certainly last in excess of 30 years. Note that magnetic tape is still the preferred option for long-term data storage.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 PM

11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
Many folks just give away VCR players (if they still have them)

Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
GF bought her VHS player at a garage sale for 2 bucks. Her niece loves old disney movies (we have a lot of them) so it works well for a little entertainment for the little one.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
Note that magnetic tape is still the preferred option for long-term data storage.
I think that's mostly because of cost. It's the same thing with camcorders until recently, mini-DV tape is about 2 or 3 bucks for 14 gigs of storage. When camcorders that could burn to DVD came on the market people thought they were getting the latest and greatest but it was actually downgrade from mini-DV tape.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What is your city?

Since VCR's are basically not used by most people any more, you can easily find a $10 one on Craigslist.
Maybe $15 if you are forced.
Then try all your tapes. The ones that play fine, maybe keep them.

Think about moving your VHS tapes over the DVD.
The tapes are bulky and they can break after years exposure.
I lived in a hot mobile home for 20 years and my VHS tapes play fine.
The only tapes that did go bad, were reel to reel tapes. The tape is so thin, they go bad after 20 years or more.
You can also pick up a good used VCR at a yard sale or flea market.
I used to pay over $200 for a new Mitsubishi and they always went bad.
VCR's today are like CRT computer monitors, they are giving them away on Craigslist, give away prices.
Find a free cycle in your city and just go on there and ask for a VCR. You'll get one free.
The Freecycle Network

Your basic purpose is to watch your tapes to make sure they are good.
Right? So, a free or $10 VCR is all you need.

It will cost you some dollars to put your tapes on DVD.
How long before they went bad? Why did you keep buying them if they continued to fail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics