U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 AM

10,956 posts, read 15,245,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
How long before they went bad? Why did you keep buying them if they continued to fail?
I bought a new Mitsubishi and it failed after many years.
I got another, like new, used Mitsubishi, and it went bad too.
I never knew it, but my Father had a similar model. His went bad.
I'd avoid Mitsubishi.

I bought a Symphonic off Craigslist, and it has not msissed a beat in over 3 years. Cost $15.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I bought a new Mitsubishi and it failed after many years.
I got another, like new, used Mitsubishi, and it went bad too.
I never knew it, but my Father had a similar model. His went bad.
I'd avoid Mitsubishi.

I bought a Symphonic off Craigslist, and it has not msissed a beat in over 3 years. Cost $15.00.
Things fail, especially after many years. Were these VCRs maintained properly? Electronics and heat do not mix well, so I wonder whet effect the heat in your trailer had on them.

I had two Mits VCRs. One had a tracking problem after 10 years, and one worked perfectly when I sold it after 12 years.

I don't see how your experience differs from that of most every other person who ever bought anything.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Some of those old decks have a lot of value if they were higher end models, they are sought after by video enthusiasts. I have JVC 9911 that I bought new for $350 that hasn't been used that much. I could easily get that much for it if not more.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM

7,449 posts, read 13,083,259 times
To the OP, if you think you might want to archive those tapes to DVD (if you want to keep them basically forever), you could get a DVD recorder/VCR combo. I have a couple of Magnavoxes that I use to archive videotapes to DVD as I do a ton of taping for my classes.

If you just want to watch once in a while, then a used VCR is a great idea, and as others have said, you could probably get one cheap on Craigslist or ebay.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
One point in video tape life is........Store them standing up like a book!! NEVER lay them flat!

If you have any important tapes laying flat get them standing up ASAP to allow the tape to move back flat.

Laying a tape flat for a long time allows gravity to slowly pull the mylar tape substrate backing towards the floor thus warping the tape so that it can't be played.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity
Anyone else have VHS tapes that are in excellent shape, that are around 25 years old?
Yes I do and I am GRATEFUL to have them!!!

They look and sound MUCH BETTER than this flat digital garbage!!

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001...12921.289.html

You should be able to find A GOOD VCR on EBAY -- Dont get a VCR/DVD combo.... THEY ARE PIECE OF GARBAGE!!! (I had one and the VHS playback was horrible (I DO NOT REALLY LIKE DVD's))

Good luck

Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

DVD Versus VHS: The Surprising Truth

You should be able to find A GOOD VCR on EBAY -- Dont get a VCR/DVD combo.... THEY ARE PIECE OF GARBAGE!!! (I had one and the VHS playback was horrible (I DO NOT REALLY LIKE DVD's))

Good luck
I've decided you're a dedicated troll, there is no way anyone could say that VHS sounds or looks better than DVD/Blu Ray. It's one thing to appreciate the pops and clicks of an old vinyl record, but this is insanity.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.8.24.112921.289.html

Good luck
VHS from mid 80's Camcorder:

DVD converted from prosumer mini DV camcorder which ironically cost about the same as the VHS camcorder:

Having posted that the VHS camcorder was very limited in it's capabilities especially under those lighting conditions. Bottom line is VHS is no where in the ballpark compared to really good digital video when it's done right. Most of the issues with DVD revolve around poor encoding mainly due to storage limitations especially on early DVD's.
Attached Thumbnails
VHS Tape Life? How many years?-vhs.jpg  

Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM

35,123 posts, read 42,553,570 times
You will probably find old VHS players on Craigslist for $20

Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM

1. Funny how they go to great length to tell you what the resolution of NTSC is compared to DVD yet don't give you the equivalent resolution of VHS. DVd can basically take advantage of the full resolution of a SD TV and it becomes a moot point with HD TV. The approximate resolution of VHS is 320*240, max resolution of DVD is 720*480.

2. The audio on DVD can use three formats. PCM which is uncompressed, this is not commonly used because of it takes up a lot space. MP2 which is basically same as MP3. AC3(Dolby Digital), this is the most commonly used for best quality and compression. Also note AC3 audio supports 5.1 surround sound.

The arguments about digital vs. analog of course have gone for longer than a decade. Bottom line is unless you have a superior sound system and a keen ear you're not going to hear much difference unless it's encoded at very low bitrate. Slightly off topic but many of the issues surrounding digital audio have to do with the poor remastering and not necessarily the limitations of the formats.

3. I would hardly call VHS tapes invicible. They do make a good point about scratched discs but VHS is susceptible to heat damage, humidity and wear and tear simply by playing it. With DVD the millionth time you play a DVD it's still going to be the same as the original time, it can also easily be ported to other storage medium with 0 loss in quality.

4.I'd agree, special feature I can really care less about in most cases EXCEPT for navigation.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-30-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics