Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times

Advertisements

I have a small vintage cassette player that runs on 3 AA batteries.
I had 4 assorted head sets.
2 work with this cassette player and the other 2 do not.
The ones that don't are not broken, etc.

What sizes of plug in connectors are there, and which ones are standard?

In the photo the two on the left do not work, and the two on the right do work.
They appear identical.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the standard and various sizes of plug ins for basic head sets?-file0542.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The two on the left are probably broken.

There are really only two commonly used STEREO headphone connectors. They have three conductors, the body, the next section, and the tip. The body (also the longest portion of the plug itself) is the ground. The other two conductors carry the + signal for the two channels.

1/4 inch headphone plug, the standard before the Walkman became popular
1/8 inch headphone plug, the new standard, used in most mobile devices

There is one variation of the 1/8 inch plug for phones that has an additional conductor for a microphone.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 AM

I've got 3 other small cassette players, I'll test each of the head sets, with each one.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The two on the left are probably broken.

There are really only two commonly used STEREO headphone connectors. They have three conductors, the body, the next section, and the tip. The body (also the longest portion of the plug itself) is the ground. The other two conductors carry the + signal for the two channels
There was a switch on one of the non working head sets, that was stuck in the off position.
So, with a 2nd cassette player, 3 head sets work, and the 4th one does not.

With all 3, how far in the plugs are, determines what you hear. On each one it varies.
With some degree of plug insertion, you hear sound on one side of the headset, with another degree of insertion of the plug the other side of the headset has volume, then another degree of insertion and you hear sound on both sides.

One has to be plugged in as far as it will go to hear sound on both sides.
With another one, all the way in gets you only one side.
I'm not clear, on what each part of the plug, does what.

That is what I'm seeing, I can not tell which part of the plug controls the sound on both channels.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
There was a switch on one of the non working head sets, that was stuck in the off position.
So, with a 2nd cassette player, 3 head sets work, and the 4th one does not.

With all 3, how far in the plugs are, determines what you hear. On each one it varies.
With some degree of plug insertion, you hear sound on one side of the headset, with another degree of insertion of the plug the other side of the headset has volume, then another degree of insertion and you hear sound on both sides.

One has to be plugged in as far as it will go to hear sound on both sides.
With another one, all the way in gets you only one side.
I'm not clear, on what each part of the plug, does what.

That is what I'm seeing, I can not tell which part of the plug controls the sound on both channels.
The assumption is that the plugs would be pushed all the way in during use. Those sections on the plug are making separate connections inside the receptacle, so yes, as you slide them in and out the sound may change. There is only one part of the plug that controls both channels, as someone said above. I don't remember which section on the plug it is, but they all work the same.

Maybe something in this article will help. It also mentions the third size of plug which is becoming more common, the 2.5MM.

TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
There is only one part of the plug that controls both channels, as someone said above. I don't remember which section on the plug it is, but they all work the same.
Yes, there is a "common" [ground] connector between the right and left channels, it's the "sleeve" [the collar closest to the main body of the plug.]

The ring and the tip are the right and left "hot" connections.

If one of the channels seems dead, try some good contact cleaner. A can of this will last many years: DeoxIT Mini Spray, mcmelectronics

Also, if one of the channels is still dead, a very common breakage point is in the wire right near the body of the connector. Try gently bending/pushing the wire at that point and many times you'll hear the absent channel come back to life. A tech could then resolder a new plug onto the wire, if the phones are worth repairing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics