U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,768,658 times

Advertisements

I've been getting calls on my land phone that are just beeping. The beeps are about five seconds apart and the call lasts about a minute. Also the calls come in groups of three, about four minutes apart.

I saw some articles saying that it's a fax machine trying to contact me. (I don't have a fax machine.) It's just my land phone number. I don't have caller ID or call blocking so I have no idea who is doing it.

It's happened a few times in the last two weeks. I've been at the same number a few years.

Is there anything I could do to stop this??

Also, does a fax automatically try two more times if it fails? That would explain the groups of three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Yes, it sounds like a fax machine. We had a doctor office that had one of our numbers accidentally programmed into their system. It didn't stop until I suggested to the nurse that I might report the office for HIPPA violations.

Unsolicited faxes allow you to collect $200 if you want to bother with small claims court and can find the culprit. All I can suggest is (if it continues) borrow a fax machine or use a fax-modem to find out the source.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM

192 posts, read 378,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've been getting calls on my land phone that are just beeping. The beeps are about five seconds apart and the call lasts about a minute. Also the calls come in groups of three, about four minutes apart.

I saw some articles saying that it's a fax machine trying to contact me. (I don't have a fax machine.) It's just my land phone number. I don't have caller ID or call blocking so I have no idea who is doing it.

It's happened a few times in the last two weeks. I've been at the same number a few years.

Is there anything I could do to stop this??

Also, does a fax automatically try two more times if it fails? That would explain the groups of three.
This is easy. Contact your phone service provider for instructions how to block a number? I can tell you that if you have comcast voip the *60 will take you to menu allowing you to block up to 10 numbers.

T.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,768,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoD View Post
This is easy. Contact your phone service provider for instructions how to block a number?
I have ATT and would have to pay for it. I'm not sure how much. Besides I don't know the number of the fax that is calling me.

I'm already on the do not call list but that doesn't help.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Got a phone modem in any of your computers?

Setup the fax software and when you hear the "beeps" click on the manual answer of the fax software. Now you will have a fax from whomever is doing this.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM

192 posts, read 378,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Got a phone modem in any of your computers?

Setup the fax software and when you hear the "beeps" click on the manual answer of the fax software. Now you will have a fax from whomever is doing this.
This is a good idea also!

T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics