U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM

11,093 posts, read 13,104,507 times

Advertisements

The description shows it as a Video player as well as music player. Whenever I put CD's into my computer drive, it automatically loads them into the library that I use for the player.

But when I try to load a DVD it only gives me the option of "playing" it through my computer. It doesn't download anywhere.

(If there is any software I loaded when I originally bought this I don't have the original media anymore.)

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
I'm assuming you meant 4GB? Is this it? Doesn't mention anything about video playback.

Philips GoGear Raga 4GB MP3 Player, 4GB MP3 Player, Flash Memory MP3 Player, Philips GoGear MP3 Player

Having said that the disc has to be in the drive for playback if it's a commercial disc because of copy protection and and even if you could simply copy it to your computer a full length DVD is going to be more than 4GB without converting the video to something else to begin with.

---------edit---------

is it this one?

Philips - GoGEAR MP3 video player ViBE 4GB* - SA1VBE04K/17 - MP4 players - Portable multimedia - Sound and vision

Quote:
Video Playback

SMV: 128 x 128, 24 fps
Just did some quick research on SMV, all I can say is good luck and it's probably not worth the effort.

SMV Converter, Convert video to SMV, SMV Video Converter download

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-24-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm assuming you meant 4GB? Is this it? Doesn't mention anything about video playback.

Having said that the disc has to be in the drive for playback if it's a commercial disc because of copy protection and and even if you could simply copy it to your computer a full length DVD is going to be more than 4GB without converting the video to something else to begin with.

Sorry. Yes, 4GB. Below is the link to the one I have. How does it play video if it's more than 4GB for one film? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to a lot of this.

Amazon.com: Philips GoGear Vibe 4 GB MP3 Video Player with 1.5-Inch Color Screen (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Sorry. Yes, 4GB. Below is the link to the one I have. How does it play video if it's more than 4GB for one film? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to a lot of this.

Amazon.com: Philips GoGear Vibe 4 GB MP3 Video Player with 1.5-Inch Color Screen (Black): MP3 Players & Accessories
Firstly DVD is MPEG2, 720*480, 30fps

The specs for the video on that player is SMV, 128*128, 24fps. You would have to covert the video using the software I linked to above to this SMV format. The reduction in the resolution and framerate is going to drastically reduce the size of the file. In addition to that MPEG is not a very efficient codec compared to modern ones but apparently neither is SMV so there isn't any gain there.

Truthfully you're going to have to go through a lot of hoops to get a video file onto that thing especially if you want to use one from DVD......... really not worth effort IMO.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks. I also noticed from other reviews that the video was not as good as the music. I'm not going to bother with it.

Are there good small video players like this (or a little bigger)? Maybe something other than an MP3 player. But I assume it would still be like a flash drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics