U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
$30 for a digital phone sure beats the almost $95 we were paying down here for almost the same feature set with AT&T (and almost that much with Bell South before that).
But it doesn't beat $20/year for Magic Jack.

No I do not have MJ. Am not shilling for them. I do have a friend at work that has had it for going on 2 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM

27,145 posts, read 64,357,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
We all bundle. We alllllll bundle.
"Puuuuppppyyyy!"

Comcast has probably the worst customer service of an company I have encountered except Bank of America and Wells Fargo Bank.

When we switched, we went to WOW. They are somewhat better. We are stuck with cable because that is how we get internet and phone. We do not have phone lines to our house. Well we did, but they got broken and never were repaired.

Compcast calls us regualrly and tells me they can save us money. First they ask about our phone costs. How much do you pay? $200 a year. "well we can prpvide unlimited phone service for only $21 per month." But $21 per month is a lot more than $200 per year. "Well we have unlimited calling" So do we, but we also have unlimited international calling. "Well we include four extra features like call waiting" We get six and two incoming lines so we cna take two calls on our number at the same time. "Well our service is better" Why? "It is only $21 per month."

I swear these people are all blonde.

Same with cable and interenet service. They call and tell us their price is better, then they tell us it is $40 a month more, but they give us 50 more channels we do not want. Oh and the interenet is slower.

How on earth does that company stay in business?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM

27,145 posts, read 64,357,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

No I do not have MJ. Am not shilling for them. I do have a friend at work that has had it for going on 2 years now.
My sister has MJ. they have some problems with it not working all the time, but still for less than $2 a month, it is a good deal.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Puuuuppppyyyy!"

Comcast has probably the worst customer service of an company I have encountered except Bank of America and Wells Fargo Bank.
I complain about the price but from experience the service is outstanding. Downtime is rare and if there is any it's usually for a very short time.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,396,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down). I told her unless they could give the programming to me free, I wasn't interested, as we watch mostly network tv anyway, and can get if for free in HD over the air. She told me 'no you can't'. I asked what she meant. She said 'no, you need cable for HD signal.' I just laughed, and asked if she was serious. She said she was. So I said that I was in fact watching HD TV for free as we speak. She looked through my subscription and said I can't be, as my sub didn't include HD. Argh! I was getting fed up and said 'look, I am at this second watching HD programming for free on my tv using an antenna. Don't you know that over the air signals are digital and in most cases in HD? She just said that no, that isn't correct. I laughed and told her to just cancel it and that she was the one in error.

I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
I have been watching over the air digital TV, not all of it HD of course, since 2005

Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM

8,425 posts, read 9,993,951 times
It is possible she was just clueless. But that implies she's not run into this situation before, which I find hard to believe.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down).
Actually it is sort of true. I re-bundle every two years and my bill is actually less than the standard pricing for the items I actually want. Its because in each bundle there are sub-bundles that can be created that actually lower the price even further. For some reason their software doesn't react to overlapping bundle codes, and discounts as if the other isnt there.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Possibly true.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,232,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
What would you save if you could live with OTA (antenna...), perhaps supplemented by Hulu, Netflix, DVDs etc (or books, games, radio and music?) -- Many are doing it these days. It can be a liberating experience.
One reason we went this route is that Comcast is the only provider here that has CBC, the Canadian
channel out of Vancouver, BC. We're too far away to get it by antenna and we enjoy many of the programs on it. without the discount we would have probably given up the "land line" phone and
definitely would save by using an internet provider and satellite. Antenna is not an option, as we are surrounded by hills and 100' trees and 30 miles from the transmitters.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Possibly true.
LOL
I would actually never recommend Magic Jack, but I was shocked to learn my co-worker has used it for 2 years now with nary a problem.
And as I was just approached by Time Warner to BUNDLE, I thought my comments were relevant.

I canceled Showtime last week. While on the phone the CSR says "wow, your price looks a bit high".
Uh, yea.
"Hang on, let me see what I can do...."
"ok...."
Come back:
"I can shave your bill by $1 if you add home phone."
"A dollar..." (a dollar is a "bit high"..... marketing crap....)
"Yes, and we can increase your internet speed from 10M to 20M for only $1 if you add TWC phone..."
"But I don't even have a landline now... and I just UPGRADED to you from 1.5 DSL from ATT"....
"But you could get 20 if you add home phone..."
"But my 10 I have now is a 4X increase (that's 4 TIMES FASTER) over what I had and is more then sufficient??? oh, and the 'home phone modem is a one time $15.00 charge. So it would take me 15 months to break even with my one dollar saving???"
"But you'd have 20....."
Which I DON'T NEED! Don't fall for this people.... 1.5 worked FINE for me with STREAMING NETFLIX for 4 years...... Don't fall into the "it's a higher number it must be better trap". 10 is more then 90% of most people need.

/end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics