U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 PM

223 posts, read 347,335 times

Advertisements

Maybe kind of off topic, but I quit paying for cable years ago. I love it. I have regular broadcast channels, netflix streaming, the blockbuster deal for dvd's and obviously access to a lot of other free sites (crackle for one). I pay for internet, netflix and blockbuster about $75 a month and can watch just about anything I want between the three. Just have to be patient sometimes and change the channel when talk of season finales is on tv. It was hard not to hear about some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 PM

8,353 posts, read 6,106,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down). I told her unless they could give the programming to me free, I wasn't interested, as we watch mostly network tv anyway, and can get if for free in HD over the air. She told me 'no you can't'. I asked what she meant. She said 'no, you need cable for HD signal.' I just laughed, and asked if she was serious. She said she was. So I said that I was in fact watching HD TV for free as we speak. She looked through my subscription and said I can't be, as my sub didn't include HD. Argh! I was getting fed up and said 'look, I am at this second watching HD programming for free on my tv using an antenna. Don't you know that over the air signals are digital and in most cases in HD? She just said that no, that isn't correct. I laughed and told her to just cancel it and that she was the one in error.

I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
Yeah, did the person you were speaking with sound foreign?

Almost all of the credit card companies and time warner cable in my area have foreign sound dialogues when they speak.

I think TWC uses elephant herders in india.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
I am officially moving down to NC this weekend, to our new house. I am stuck in a contract with DirecTV until next September, but I thought I was going to have to stick with them, since NC does not carrier Redskins games on their local NFL channels. However, I tried the indoor antenna that I gave my fiancee', and lo' and behold, I was able to get two VA channels that show NFL programming - which means two channels that will show Redskins games. Now since I have discovered this, I plan on unhooking from DirecTV once my contract is up, and installing a rooftop antenna.

They even make HD-DVRs now that you don't need cable or satellite service for - but it's a bit of a hefty price up front. However, in the long run, it will pay for itself. I'll probably go the route of over-the-air TV, internet, netflix, and maybe Hulu Plus. As long as the ISP doesn't decide to switch to limited bandwidth, that should be a nice cost savings per month.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,082,785 times
netflix+hulu on my 55" hdtv for something like $21.00 a month.

I miss none of the shows I watched when I had cable.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM

131 posts, read 219,617 times
We dumped our Direct TV years ago due to their raising costs; we used the extra money to buy DVDs (used and new). Now we have a huge collection we can go to whenever we want to containing movies and TV series, Mill Creek tapes our always fun to watch late at night to bring back memories of the 70s and late night TV watching (before the rise of the infomercials).

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

19 posts, read 25,820 times
Scr*w Comcast. First off all, they LIE when saying they are going to lower your rates after "negotiation". Because your services and price are not based on a "contract" they can tell you one thing and do another - which they routinely do.

The game is to tell you that they are going to reduce your bill by x-amount, but mysteriously the reductions never appear on your bill. And when you inquire later on, they always "dummy-up' and no one knows what was supposed to have been reduced/eliminated/upgraded, for what amount or when. They simply keep charging whatever they want.

I have spoken to them several times in the past where my bill was to have been reduced significantly afterwards - never happened.

Another thing is I use my phone for a home business and have to have call waiting fully disabled. With the sky high prices Comcast charges, do you think they have this feature available as a customer-controlled feature? No. And don't bother calling tech support to deal with it because you will get run around like an Olympic track star.

So basically I said forget it, signed up with ATT and received a similar package for almost $150.00 dollars a month LESS for 24 months.

Buh-bye Comcast. And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
Looks like the people at Comcast need re-training. Not only are local channels in HD, the signal is not compressed. HD received from any cable company and both sat companies is compressed. You are receiving 16:9 1440x1080 Full HD is received with an antenna [prime channel] 16:9 1920x1080 Sub channels are still 4:3 480

Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour
She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down). I told her unless they could give the programming to me free, I wasn't interested, as we watch mostly network tv anyway, and can get if for free in HD over the air. She told me 'no you can't'. I asked what she meant. She said 'no, you need cable for HD signal.' I just laughed, and asked if she was serious. She said she was. So I said that I was in fact watching HD TV for free as we speak. She looked through my subscription and said I can't be, as my sub didn't include HD. Argh! I was getting fed up and said 'look, I am at this second watching HD programming for free on my tv using an antenna. Don't you know that over the air signals are digital and in most cases in HD? She just said that no, that isn't correct. I laughed and told her to just cancel it and that she was the one in error.

I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
Oh yeah...... They will try ANYTHING to NOT LOSE YOU!!!!!

Im glad you didnt give in back then!!!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 575 times
Your forum has the best information from knowledgeable people. The questions I had were answered in many responses posted by different people. This forum will be added to my favorites for future use. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:57 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Well thats nice to hear my friend!

Welcome to city-data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics