U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM

8,425 posts, read 9,993,951 times

Advertisements

She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down). I told her unless they could give the programming to me free, I wasn't interested, as we watch mostly network tv anyway, and can get if for free in HD over the air. She told me 'no you can't'. I asked what she meant. She said 'no, you need cable for HD signal.' I just laughed, and asked if she was serious. She said she was. So I said that I was in fact watching HD TV for free as we speak. She looked through my subscription and said I can't be, as my sub didn't include HD. Argh! I was getting fed up and said 'look, I am at this second watching HD programming for free on my tv using an antenna. Don't you know that over the air signals are digital and in most cases in HD? She just said that no, that isn't correct. I laughed and told her to just cancel it and that she was the one in error.

I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

578 posts, read 912,143 times
I cancelled service with them to go with another Chicago provider. Same EXACT package - no contract 65.00 less monthly. They were totally indifferent. My final bill was quoted over the phone at 146. Then 6.95. Then 146.00 then 13.90. Then a paper bill arrived for 146.00. Rudy the service rep was going to call me back. Nope. And no record of that call. Then Mia was going to call me back. Nope and no record of that call either. Since I treasure my credit score I paid them the 146.00. And EVERY chance I get I tell others about their horrible customer service and unprofessional phone team.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,232,507 times
That was not deliberate misleading. She didn't know any better. Call center staff are using scripted dialogue, and you threw her something that she was not prepared for since it wasn't on her list.

I recently called them too, and told them I was going to try Direct TV because Comcast had gotten too expensive. They transferred me to "Customer Retention" where they gave me $40/month discount for 1 year, then $20/month the second year. The catch is a 2 year commitment and I cannot downgrade any of the service during that time, but I agreed as it will save us $720.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,061,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That was not deliberate misleading. She didn't know any better. Call center staff are using scripted dialogue, and you threw her something that she was not prepared for since it wasn't on her list.

I recently called them too, and told them I was going to try Direct TV because Comcast had gotten too expensive. They transferred me to "Customer Retention" where they gave me $40/month discount for 1 year, then $20/month the second year. The catch is a 2 year commitment and I cannot downgrade any of the service during that time, but I agreed as it will save us $720.
What would you save if you could live with OTA (antenna...), perhaps supplemented by Hulu, Netflix, DVDs etc (or books, games, radio and music?) -- Many are doing it these days. It can be a liberating experience.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
There is a reason they are sitting in a tiny cubical with a phone, headset reading scripts from a PC monitor.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
When I went to get the newer boxes with HDMI the worker at the local Comcast office offered her opinion that the HDMI cables weren't as good as the component ones. I tried to explain that the digital signal over HDMI and was either 100% quality or unwatchable even with minor errors. I believe the explanation was lost on her.

@op, I'd have to agree with the others. She was probably clueless.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
"Bundling" drives me nuts. And paying extra for a Phone line to "bundle you"???? Maddening.
And people do it every day.
"You still have a landline?"
"Well, yea, the total package was cheaper if I got the phone part".

So basically you pay let's say $70 for cable. $40 for internet. and another $30 for "phone". What many folks don't realize is your "phone" is really just VOIP. Voice running over that internet connection that you are already paying $40 for. You're not really getting anything extra except the ability to use the connection you are already paying for to run your voice calls.

Um... if you're going to do that you may as well get a "Magic Jack".

Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
We all bundle. We alllllll bundle.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 AM

24,175 posts, read 34,109,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
She asked why I was cancelling, and if they bundle more stuff to bring the price down (which is ridiculous as the bundles only add to my total cost, even if it does bring the tv programming cost down). I told her unless they could give the programming to me free, I wasn't interested, as we watch mostly network tv anyway, and can get if for free in HD over the air. She told me 'no you can't'. I asked what she meant. She said 'no, you need cable for HD signal.' I just laughed, and asked if she was serious. She said she was. So I said that I was in fact watching HD TV for free as we speak. She looked through my subscription and said I can't be, as my sub didn't include HD. Argh! I was getting fed up and said 'look, I am at this second watching HD programming for free on my tv using an antenna. Don't you know that over the air signals are digital and in most cases in HD? She just said that no, that isn't correct. I laughed and told her to just cancel it and that she was the one in error.

I expected a hard time for cancelling, but to deliberately mislead? Disgusting.
Looks like here a case of grasping at straws along with a lack of knowledge on how TV works rather than deliberate misconduct.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:24 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Bundling" drives me nuts. And paying extra for a Phone line to "bundle you"???? Maddening.
And people do it every day.
"You still have a landline?"
"Well, yea, the total package was cheaper if I got the phone part".

So basically you pay let's say $70 for cable. $40 for internet. and another $30 for "phone". What many folks don't realize is your "phone" is really just VOIP. Voice running over that internet connection that you are already paying $40 for. You're not really getting anything extra except the ability to use the connection you are already paying for to run your voice calls.

Um... if you're going to do that you may as well get a "Magic Jack".
Actually, it's a separate circuit, at least in our area. Separate modem as well. I'm sure it's an IP connection, and it obviously runs through the same coax, but we've had the internet go out in the past while the phone still functioned. Both die most of the time, but not always.

$30 for a digital phone sure beats the almost $95 we were paying down here for almost the same feature set with AT&T (and almost that much with Bell South before that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics