U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

I'd like to dump my CDs and store (back-up) my music on something other than Cloud storage. What are the best devices out there that allow me to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I'd like to dump my CDs and store (back-up) my music on something other than Cloud storage. What are the best devices out there that allow me to do this?
Are you looking for some sort of all-in-one device? Or just curious how others have done it?

I've ripped perhaps a third of my CD collection over the years just using a standard PC, and I store the resulting digital data in three places:

(1) A portable hard drive. I keep it at work except when making backups of the home machines. Off site backup.
(2) The Buffalo Linkstation I have downstairs along with its attached backup drive.
(3) My Toshiba Gigabeat F40. It only holds 40GB, but that's most of the stuff I have ripped. I don't need all of it.

Most of my digital music is only 128k VBR MP3 format, which is a far cry from perfect, but LAME has been a good enough MP3 encoder to make most of it acceptable to my ears on portable devices.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Are you looking for some sort of all-in-one device? Or just curious how others have done it?
Both.

I'd like to convert some of my stuff (books, CDs and DVDs) to a digital format to save space, collect less dust and make it look like I don't hoard. To that end, I'm going to buy a Kindle but would also like a solution for my CDs and DVDs. If it's not necessary for me to actually possess those two items in a physical format, then I like to make the changeover, and donate my originals to either a charity or a public library.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
My entire CD-based music collection is stored on my desktop PC. I stream it to a media streaming device (Squeezebox3) that is part of my A/V system. I am experimenting with my DVDs, but have not yet been able to reliably play movies over the network with existing networked devices. DVDs are trickier because you have to remove copyright info and my Sony Blu-Ray player, which can play many media formats, cannot play Mp4 or MKV files.

Note that DVD movie files are very large (~2-4 Gb) if you want original quality. A single CD ripped to 320 kpbs MP3 format can be 100 Mb or so.

I do not believe external hard drives should ever be your primary copy of important digital data. They are prone to failure and can be easily stolen.

You should also have a backup strategy in place, especially if you get rid of your original data. It would be terrible if you ripped all of your CDs and your hard drive failed. That could be a loss of many $$$ thousands.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I have a wireless router with USB ports. Attached to that is a 1 TB RAIDED drive. RAIDED meaning there are two drives with an exact copy of the data on both. If one dies, it gets replaced and the data copies itself back to it. The odds that both drives die at the same time are a million to one. Every device on my network: laptops, tablets, phones, PS3... can access all the music and pics from that space.
Yes it could be stolen. Not worried about that.
Yes my house could burn down and I'd lose it. Probably.
I could win the lottery, too.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I agree with the previous poster. My music (168GB) is on my laptop, which is backed up to a Windows Home Server, which is backed up to an external hard drive and CrashPlan. The external drive is fireproof and water proof. If I ever get rich enough I'm going to by a couple of 128GB flash drives and copy it all to them as well. I really need to pare down my music collection - again.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Take a look at a Synology DiskStation Synology Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience
They are very capable devices, iTunes server, DLNA, web server, Time Machine backup, mailserver, iSCSI, photo & video server, video recorder, with both android and iDevice apps.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Buy a 64GB thumb drive. They're selling for around $30 now.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Take a look at a Synology DiskStation Synology Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience
They are very capable devices, iTunes server, DLNA, web server, Time Machine backup, mailserver, iSCSI, photo & video server, video recorder, with both android and iDevice apps.
I gave up trying to find a place to buy one or a price.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I gave up trying to find a place to buy one or a price.
Wow, that's weird, Newegg carries them, I went there and did a search, they show up for a second, then redirect to a "page cannot be displayed"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics