U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
This is funny, but if the "Rachel" call comes from a different number every couple of weeks, you have to put up with the robot again and again.
That is a drawback, having to continually enter new numbers to forward, but it beats listening to the phone ring all day with 800 numbers.

The number I forward to is 631-265-0000 in case anyone wants to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What gets me is that these people continue to call (card services is the worst) when if they had an IQ above room temp they would figure out they are wasting their time calling me......

I was actually a telemarketer in college (don't hate me!); it was the worst and best job ever.

Most of the people that worked there were dumber than the chair they were sitting in, but for an intelligent person, you can learn a LOT about interacting with other humans and how to get what you want out of them. Everyday I went to work, i wanted to shove my headset up someone's arse and quit, but really, its the best sales experience i ever had.

Our office was no different than any other; it was all computerized. The computer would dial three numbers at once, and the first person to pickup was directed to one of our salespeople.

If you told us not to call you again, we would enter a code next to your number that directed the computer not to call you .. .EVER. But, it only seemed to work about 80% of the time. On some occasions, I would enter the code, and the computer would seem to call that same number repeatedly, like it was programmed to be an a$$hole. Keep in mind, we didn't know who was on the line until we heard a beep and the customers name appeared on the screen. At that point, the customer was already on the line waiting to scream at us.

It really got interesting though when the Do-Not-Call list was started, because it also required companies to reveal an actual phone number to caller-ID that would allow people to call us back. Before D-N-C, our called ID just showed 000-000-0000. When the company had to start putting a real number out there, people would actually call us back just to chat or raise hell at us for calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If I'm not into anything, I often play along and see how long I can tie up one of their trolls. After all it does no good to hit "9" to tell them to take this number off their list as the recording states, so have a little fun and screw with the trolls that pickup..

It was actually fun from my end also. It would give me a few minutes to relax before getting back into sales mode for the next call. Its also a good opportunity to try out some new rebuttals, or see just how good you are at diffusing an irate customer. It hardly ever worked, but I can count a few successes.

But anyway, the large majority of people where I worked were college students just looking for paycheck until we finished school. Not all of them are terrible people. Just something to keep in mind before you lay into a telemarketer. If they're belligerent or going for the hard sale, even for me that's my cue to lay it on them.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,139,931 times
Just got a call from a female telemarketer a few minutes ago. Her accent was so thick I could only understand about every third word she was saying. I told her I was having trouble understanding and asked her to repeat herself a couple of times. All she did was talk louder. Finally figured out she was selling a computer repair program for Windows.

I told her I was glad she called as I was having problems with a few leaky windows and one exterior door and could she please send someone out to give me an estimate.

She even more loudly went right back to her sales pitch so I went back to asking for someone to come and fix my windows and door.

She then mumbled something and hung up. No doubt they'll be calling back.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I told her I was glad she called as I was having problems with a few leaky windows and one exterior door and could she please send someone out to give me an estimate.

lol that's a good one.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
I am trying to memorize this dialogue the next time I get one of these calls....

Best Prank Call Ever by Tom Mabe - YouTube

Just love hearing the marketeer sputtering and the fear in his voice....

Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,139,931 times
^^ Funny stuff.

Answer all Telemarketing calls 911 - YouTube

Tom Mabe lives about 15 miles from here. Used to see him all the time driving around in a red Volkswagen with a huge handset on the roof and a keypad on the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics