U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM

10,956 posts, read 15,245,469 times

Advertisements

How many C batteries would it take, to power a flashlight that uses 2 D batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
2 C batteries. The bulb will be slightly (probably imperceptible) dimmer because of the slightly higher internal resistance of the C batteries.
Would 3 C's blow the bulb, in the flashlight that uses 2 D's?
I don't want to start blowing bulbs.

I need to borrow a friends C device, test my C's and throw them out, if no good.
Every device I have, that works (from TV remotes, to flashlights, to cassette players) use AAA, AA, or D's.
-------------
That same website said a 9 volt battery is clearly 9 volts.
And the other flashlights or lanterns that use those rectangular batteries are 6 volts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM

3,820 posts, read 5,982,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Would 3 C's blow the bulb, in the flashlight that uses 2 D's?
Yes!!

Quote:
That same website said a 9 volt battery is clearly 9 volts.
And the other flashlights or lanterns that use those rectangular batteries are 6 volts.
If you take them apart you will find that they contain 1.5 volt cells connected in series.

If you want to be technically correct, you will call your C batteries C cells.

You will eventually learn all of this in General Science class.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM

I'll borrow a device that uses C cells.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
I had a flashlight that used C batteries.
I lost the darn thing.

Following you so far...

I have close to 10 C batteries and need to test them as good or bad.

Just how LONG was this "flashlight" that it needed ten C cells? (wink wink, nudge, nudge, knowwadimean??)

Any way to test them without a device?

Device? OK, so if you have nothing to use these batteries with, is there a purpose in testing them? I'm trying to envision this...

"Yep! I have TEN, count 'em, TEN working C-cell batteries. Just tested them. (sticks thumbs behind suspender straps, leans back in chair and smiles knowingly) I just have then sitting on a shelf so that I can admire them."

What types of devices still use C batteries?

Dunno. (wink wink, nudge, nudge, knowwadimean??)

Seriously, I can't imagine buying a product just to use some old C cells I had lying around, and I'm one of the cheapest people you'll ever meet. Give 'em to a kid. Donate them to a Radio Shack recovery group.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Seriously, I can't imagine buying a product just to use some old C cells I had lying around, and I'm one of the cheapest people you'll ever meet. Give 'em to a kid. Donate them to a Radio Shack recovery group.
That was pretty much the main reason why I bought my second motorcycle (used of course). I was keeping spare gas in a 5 gallon gas tank and it was getting stale so I bought a new bike to make sure of that gas too. Couldn't let 5 gallons of gas go to waste! (wink wink, nudge, nudge, knowwadimean??)

Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 AM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Quote:
I'll borrow a device that uses C cells.
Will someone loan you a device knowing that you might lose it?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM

I do not want to throw the batteries out if they are good.
And I did not say that while spitting venom like some which is an unfortunate characteristic of all websites with forums.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
I do not want to throw the batteries out if they are good.
And I did not say that while spitting venom like some which is an unfortunate characteristic of all websites with forums.
I think some of us are having a little fun at your expense. OTOH, as some have said, knowing the batteries work now doesn't mean much if you don't use them for x number of years.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Answers in red

Quote:
Well this is an interesting fact:
AAA, AA, C and D batteries all are 1.5 volts.

How does that determine how many of each battery a device needs?

It doesn't, the device determines the type and amount of batteries required. If you have a flashlight with a 3 volt bulb it would take two 1.5 volt batteries, a flashlight with a 4.5 volt bulb would take 3. A D cell flashlight would work just fine on AAA, AA, or C cells, it just wouldn't run as long.

I have a flashlight that uses two D batteries.
I have a flashlight that uses two AA batteries.
I have a cassette player that uses 3 AA batteries.
I have a cassette player that uses 4 C batteries. No, I can not test it with my C batteries because the buttons on the device do not work.

How many C batteries would it take, to power a flashlight that uses 2 D batteries?

It would take 2, as the voltage is the same, you would just get less usage from the device before the batteries died

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I think some of us are having a little fun at your expense. OTOH, as some have said, knowing the batteries work now doesn't mean much if you don't use them for x number of years.
Exactly, ...well not exactly on that first sentence, which was me just being silly. The silliness part of my post has smilies . The serious part started out with "Seriously" (I thought that was a dead giveaway, but apparently the dead don't want to be given away around here). The second sentence of your post reiterates the idea of moving on and not worrying about that stuff about to go moldy in the back of the refrigerator and trying to put it in something new and tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics