U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM

10,956 posts, read 15,245,469 times

Advertisements

$2.13 later.

I bought 4 cheapo C cells.

I had 12 C cells.
Four were Energizer Industrial Alkaline dated 2011. Format EN93-LR-14-AM2.
Four were Energizer Alkaline dated 2010. Same format.
Four were Energizer Alkaline dated 2015. Same format.

I have 3 cassette players that use C batteries. One also uses a power cord. What I did not know, was that the Sony won't run on the batteries unless the power cord is completely unattatched from the unit. A safety, or other feature, of the Sony TCM-818.

The other two casette players, both Radio Shack, had partially in-operable buttons.
Unknown since the strength of the 12 batteries was unknown.
The Sony worked fine with 110 volts. I unplugged it and tried the batteries and no luck, because I did not know the cord had to be completely removed from the unit. Still not knowing which of the 12 batteries, if any, were good.

4 new batteries and neither Radio Shack will play or rewind or FF. They will be thrown in the trash.
Then 3 of the new batteries with each of the other 12, one by one.
The sound using 3 new and each of of the industrial batteries was distorted.
3 news batteries and 1 of the non industrial batteries, the sound was fine.
But, could 4 of the 12 used (on hand) batteries work fine together, when not combined with 3 new ones.
The 4 (2011) industrial batteries are no good.
The other 8 will, on their own, without a new battery in the mix of 4, play the tapes with normal sound.

So, in my getting rid of stuff that does not work or it not worth keeping, the two Radio Shack players are trash, the 4 industrial batteries are too weak and are trash. The others (4 dated 2010 and 4 dated 2015) will be kept for.......drum roll.......the day I find the lost flashlight among the mountains of boxes and other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM

22,184 posts, read 12,085,426 times
These will do the job:

Variable Length Flexible Battery Tester (1.5V/9V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Sunwa 1.5V/9V/Button Battery Power Level Tester - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have ordered from these people and been very happy with them.
You can check all batteries!
They do take a while to recieve but shipping is free

Also check out all the stuff they have all with free shipping!

Last edited by bobrainman; 09-22-2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM

10,956 posts, read 15,245,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
These will do the job:

Variable Length Flexible Battery Tester (1.5V/9V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Sunwa 1.5V/9V/Button Battery Power Level Tester - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have ordered from these people and been very happy with them.
You can check all batteries!
They do take a while to recieve but shipping is free

Also check out all the stuff they have all with free shipping!
Good items there.....thanks...

Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 730 times
you dont even need a light bulb. just get a small metal wire and touch both exposed ends with it --it will get very hot very fast if the battery has power. I took a garbage twist tie and scrapped off the covering from the ends and a part in the middle and wrapped it around my thumb. The middle exposed part was touching my thumb and the two ends touched the + and- of the battery. the middle exposed wire part touching my thumb got hot very fast --it burned basically. I did it with two batteries, the one with power got hot and the other did not.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,005,309 times
I suppose if you're into causing yourself pain that would work, not something I'd recommend a normal person do

Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 AM

620 posts, read 1,533,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedstorm View Post
you dont even need a light bulb. just get a small metal wire and touch both exposed ends with it --it will get very hot very fast if the battery has power. I took a garbage twist tie and scrapped off the covering from the ends and a part in the middle and wrapped it around my thumb. The middle exposed part was touching my thumb and the two ends touched the + and- of the battery. the middle exposed wire part touching my thumb got hot very fast --it burned basically. I did it with two batteries, the one with power got hot and the other did not.
Have you tried that with a car battery?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,982,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have close to 10 C batteries and need to test them as good or bad.

Any way to test them without a device?
Thanks.
Just put them in a flashlight and if it shines like this you know they are weak: Frank and Ernest - Search Cartoons

Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM

2,763 posts, read 3,061,629 times
I believe C cells can be used in a D cell flashlight by using 2 quarters as spacers/shims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics