Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times

Advertisements

so, i have loads of films i have gotten from places like the archive.org in various formats, and i have watched movies on my laptop for years and i am just sick of it. i like having a movie on while work and since i work on my computer its one or the other. so i am in the market for a setup that will let me play my vast collection of burnt dvds in non-dvd format (most are avis, mpgs and mov files).

i already have an external DVD drive, which i use to burn cds and dvds and watch and listen to the same. i was wondering if this would work with a dvd player with a USB port.

seems from my reading that those ports are good at reading flash drives, but only if they are FAT32 files (i have a mac and don't want to reformat just to watch a film). so a flash drive is out.

i pretty much have imagined that a dvd player is NOT gonna be able to play my wide variety of media, but maybe there is. i have tried some in the past and had no success, but its been a few years. anyone dealt with this, and do you have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Since a lot of those files aren't real HD, you could try a monitor output tap like this:

Amazon.com: Sewell Direct SW-23000 PC to TV Converter: Electronics

The quality isn't going to be as good, but it is as watchable as a VHS tape. I use one for watching Youtube and online news. What I like is that it can be a simple way to take video streams of the news and allow an archiving of important bits for later reference. There is a website that does this for national news, but not local stations.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM

the issue isn't getting the movies from my computer to a screen. i can do that, i have done that a whole bunch. what i am talking about is something my computer is NOT hooked up to so that i can work on my computer and watch a movie. and i have a mac, and pretty much every converter that is made for it. i used to watch movies that way but that meant i better be doing something else. i sort a like having a movie on in the background like the radio and i miss doing that. i need a dvd player that will either accept my dvd drive through a USB port, or be able to play a wide variety of formats reliably.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Can you use extended desktop, so that you would use the TV screen to watch your content, and your computer to continue working? I do that occasionally on my laptop and big plasma in the living room.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Can you use extended desktop, so that you would use the TV screen to watch your content, and your computer to continue working? I do that occasionally on my laptop and big plasma in the living room.
yeah, i thought of doing that in a pinch, so that i could do two things at once. might just save a dollar. thanks!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
There is standards for DVD video format, file structure etc:

What is DVD? - VideoHelp.com

If you want a DVD player to reliably play a video converting the video and using authoring software is the only way you can achieve that. There is no standard for extra features like playing video on data discs, support for the different formats varies widely. You'd have to determine what most of the formats are you want to play and find a player that supports them. You can look up different players here:

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player Compatibility List - VideoHelp.com

Another option if you have a router is get a TV or Bluray player with network connectivity but you're going to have the same issue there with supported formats. My new TV and Bluray player both have network connectivity, I can view photos, video or even play music on either. I can even watch youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics