U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,967,974 times

Advertisements

Was moving some boxes and found our Labtec computer speakers. These were two speakers and a small subwoofer. They sounded fantastic but had to box them and the tower computer three years ago when my wife's dad moved in with us. He's passed away and the wife wants to keep the room as a spare bedroom. After moving things around and finding those speakers, I remembered the wife wanted surround sound in the bedroom. Our bedroom is just too small and bad acoustics to warrant buying a complete system. Am going to buy an adaptor, connect the speakers to the TV output (or receiver audio output) and try it out. One down side is speaker power and volume control is manual and at the speakers. Am hoping to find a setting to change from internal to external speakers and then control volume by tv remote. Will place the two front speakers wide apart for stereo surround effect (roughly about 4 feet, as wide as the dresser). The subwoofer will be on the floor. I know stereo surround tv sounds very good, especially when compared to built in factory TV speakers. Never tried this with computer speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
You should drop the "surround" in your posts, since nothing you've said indicates you'll have surround sound. It will just be confusing. Two speakers (the sub doesn't count) is just stereo, and that's probably fine for your goals.

If your TV has a headphone output it should be variable, and would give you remote volume control. As you said, go through the audio settings to see if there are options.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Store didn't have the adaptor. Will try a different store tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You should drop the "surround" in your posts, since nothing you've said indicates you'll have surround sound. It will just be confusing. Two speakers (the sub doesn't count) is just stereo, and that's probably fine for your goals.

If your TV has a headphone output it should be variable, and would give you remote volume control. As you said, go through the audio settings to see if there are options.
Thank you. I found the connector on the TV that the speaker cable fits into (really hard to see). Got it all hooked up and tested. Speakers and subwoofer sound fantastic for bedroom. One downside, can't adjust speaker volume through TV. I tried it with the internal speakers on and off. Spoke to the wife. She says that's fine. She's only going to use them for movies. Rest of the time they'll be off. If she does decide to use them, she'll turn on the speakers and turn down the TV volume. A remote controlled sound bar would be better but cost more than we're willing to spend at this time.

Oh, and the speakers are actually Logitech

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,368 times
Default Amazing stuff

I am looking for some latest news and good music accessories information in that forum during that search i got your post its also interesting thanks for sharing.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM

640 posts, read 622,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Thank you. I found the connector on the TV that the speaker cable fits into (really hard to see). Got it all hooked up and tested. Speakers and subwoofer sound fantastic for bedroom. One downside, can't adjust speaker volume through TV. I tried it with the internal speakers on and off. Spoke to the wife. She says that's fine. She's only going to use them for movies. Rest of the time they'll be off. If she does decide to use them, she'll turn on the speakers and turn down the TV volume. A remote controlled sound bar would be better but cost more than we're willing to spend at this time.

Oh, and the speakers are actually Logitech

Great stuff. I'm not familiar with the Labtec stuff but i do have an old Klipsch Promedia set floating around that got asigned to the office. I have a tv tuner card that I use for the monitor in there, allowing me to use the media player as an attenuator.

Much like your setup, the Klipsch doesn't have a remote so I feel your pain...not a big deal though if you get improved sound for little effort...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics